Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
and DBZ is only because it was actually just the latest arc of Dragon Ball, so....technically...for that you have to watch an entire OTHER SERIES for it to "finally get good"

which at this point, I'm starting to roll my eyes at that criticism. these series are kind of the anime equivalent of long epic fantasy books. should we skip the Fellowship of the Ring to start watching at the Two Towers as well? do people skip Harry Potter or Game of Thrones books? Wheel of Time had filler books, and it was long, do we skip out on the beginnings of Rands journey? and the "finally get good" is as shown is completely subjective and depends on who you ask, so its secondhand info,

I understand if someone don't have the time to watch it, but if thats the case, just say so. I can understand it for Goku, he is starting to become comic book-like in how media keeps revisiting the saiyan arc as if its his origin story, and I can understand if you want a show that skips straight to the action and good parts, I want one to, but these stories are very bildungsroman in how they are about growth and progress over time. its just kind of the nature of the genre for it to be a journey and for the journey to be long. but then again I rarely if ever want to skip any thing of a media I consume. I'm the kind of person who likes going on archive binges, watching episodes back to back so it all flows as a cohesive uninterrupted narrative, but I guess thats just my deep focus introvert brain that is able to read Way of Kings for hours on end without stopping, and other people simply don't have the patience, focus, time or the energy for that.
I didn't skip the beginning of HxH. I watched/read it and experienced it as dreck. If there is no commonly agreed break point in the series, then I am likely to continue experiencing it as dreck the whole way through, and there is no point continuing to watch at all. If there is such a point, then I can make the decision about whether to push on or skip ahead - and skipping ahead is a valid choice, not the bizarre blend of caricatures you've invented to justify your eye-rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
So, like every show of its ilk? DBZ is the only one I can think of that started on pretty high energy. Black Clover takes about ten episodes just to get its cast introduced, Fairy Tail takes a few as well, and the first mini-arc is considered pretty weak (Tower of Heaven is where it supposedly gets good). I only watched about twenty episodes of One Piece, but that thing was moving so slowly, I doubt I would go much further anyway.

I'll leave my continued unpopular opinions on the subject alone, but Hunter X hunter is on my todo list. Maybe once Netflix gets the rest of the dub.
Without pointlessly bogging down in details, no, not every show in the neighborhood of HxH dissatisfied me for 35 chapters or the equivalent in episodes.