View Single Post

Thread: GURPS flaws?

1. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GURPS flaws?

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    I kind of stumbled onto this issue while brainstorming my magic system where it can take a lot of turns to cast a spell while martial types get to take multiple actions. Do you think the ability to engage at a distance where you can't be hit makes the time trade off worthwhile? Does the amount of damage you can inflict when you can engage make the time trade off worthwhile?
    GURPS has a magic system where spells take a lot of turns to cast, it's actually quite good and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Rather, the point is that *doing nothing* creates a horrible player experience, especially if the melee turns actually take significant time to resolve.
    This is the key. Path Magic by default is incredibly slow to cast, but it's actually so slow that you can't use it in combat. Instead magicians have to find other things to do in combat while their spells are used to create big effects outside of combat.

Conversely, the standard system of magic has you casting a spell about every 1-3 turns if using combat magic, potentially faster if you push up your skill level. It's much less frustrating to be sitting around for a single turn than for five, especially if everybody can get their turns done quickly. But it's why I tend to avoid magic-focused games in GURPS, as bad as the Ultra-Tech book is* there's little in the way of action cost to use it's stuff.

* That is, the content is mostly fine but the organisation is terrible.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-23 at 03:16 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.