Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
GURPS has a magic system where spells take a lot of turns to cast, it's actually quite good and balanced.
I like it but it's not exactly what I want so I'm heavily modifying a lot of it.
Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
This is the key. Path Magic by default is incredibly slow to cast, but it's actually so slow that you can't use it in combat. Instead magicians have to find other things to do in combat while their spells are used to create big effects outside of combat.
I came across the issue because one of the modifications I was making was the ability for a magic user to prepare one or two spells ahead of time. To hold them in readiness, to steal a phrase. I was worried that would give magic users the ability to kill a combat by going nova in the first couple of turns. I think I can put reasonable, and logical, limits in place that will allow magic users to have a few spells held in readiness (at a cost) but not nova the combat. And my version of path magic makes it possible to cast spells much more quickly but, again, at a cost. We'll see how well I manage to balance this.