2019-08-25, 06:31 AM (ISO 8601)
Re: Should Tanks have low AC?
I agree with that. Being tank in DnD 5e is not being a spoonge that deals no damage and pose no threat. Enemies will simply ignore you. However if you are high AC, high HP block of metal that start it's turn with fireball into enemies, only to rush their leader and 2-shot him with smites - then suddenly you are the target number 1 of enemies. You don't want threat like that to repeat it's havoc next turn.
Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha
Hence why I also agree that Srocadins are probably best tanks. You can't ignore a guy with +5 to saves, huge AC, huge burst damage who can also hypnotic pattern/fireball your guys or walk in the middle of you with Spirit Guardians up. Ignore a guy like that and fight is over sooner or later.
So long story short- if you want to be a tank - pose a threat that will make enemies want to kill you first.
So best tanks for me are:
- Redemption Paladin with Spirit Guardians/1 hexblade level for Shield spell
- Sorcadins with Divine Soul and spirit guardians (also shield spell)
- EK/wizards with their huge DPR (also shield spell)
- Arcana, Tempest and Froge Clerics
- Zealot Barbarians with GWM and Champion 3 levels.
You want to be a tank- make enemies regret ignoring you.