How do you reconcile your agreement here that a wizard that does not know or prepare fireball can use a wand of fireball to scribe a scroll of fireball while insisting here that a spell must be prepared to scribe it? I think this is a key headscratcher for me. Do you have an interpretation consistent with all the rules?
Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionsmurf View Post
Adopting your example, isn't the relevant sentence 'To fly a plane, you need a pilot and another pilot' (i.e. both are the same role)?
'To fly a plane, you need a pilot and another pilot' seems fine, and you could imagine one person filling both roles in a pinch.
I accept that spells can be poorly worded, but doesn't the same also apply to abilities?
Sure.
Setting aside our academic discussion about whether Divine casters can 'know' spells (which is still a useful discussion), isn't it reasonable to assume the drafters of the Hathran class intended Rashemi Spirit Magic to be able to be used by a pure Cleric that entered the class?
Yes, but I'm note sure. I'd like to use Hathran 3.0 Place Magic(where clerics clearly did benefit) as precedent, but these two abilities clearly differ rules-wise. It's not hard to imagine that the writers wanted to nerf it in the transition to 3.5.
I think we can both agree that, if you have not learnt something, you cannot know it.
Yes.
3. Yes, if the Cleric could already cast spells of the higher level gained through Versatile Spellcaster (see question 1 above). Otherwise, no.
I suspect that almost no DMs allow a Cleric with Versatile Spellcaster to spontaneously cast spells of all accessed levels. It's so good, that it would practically be a required level 1 feat for Druid & Cleric.
On the second limb, I think we both agree?
Yes.
I don't disagree with the underlined, but I do think it is irrelevant.
The relevance is that Place Magic is clearly not a precedent for how Rashemi Spirit Magic is supposed to work, so we cannot extract RAI from it.
...the point of the excerpt is to observe that divine casters can 'know' spells according to a 3.25 source ...
So, Hathran 3.0 is easily consistent with divine-not-known and awkwardly consistent with divine-known while Durthan 3.25 is consistent with divine-known.