Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionsmurf View Post
With that in mind, I maintain my earlier position that D&D uses language loosely, including in relation to characters 'knowing' spells.
You have a fair bit of evidence, so I must agree that the language is used loosely. That leaves us forced to consider the proper definition of 'know' each time it arises which is rather fraught with difficulty. Perhaps one way to settle this is in terms of affordance: what is the minimal affordance associated with each use of 'know'? A rule using the word 'know' must implicitly allow the minimum affordance in addition to the glossary definition. Large affordances may be intended, but the smallest affordance is the conservative choice which should always work.
  1. For Scribe Scroll it refers to spell access per the quote.
  2. For Glyph of Warding it presumably refers to any spell you could cast at the time of casting the glyph of warding? This seems minimal, but it would imply that a cleric must prepare the spell for a spell glyph.
  3. For Divine Metamagic, it presumably additionally refers to spells a cleric prepares rather than any spell on the cleric list.
  4. For Midnight Metamagic, it presumably additionally refers to spells a cleric prepares.
  5. For Eye of Horus-Re, it presumably refers to the entire cleric list.
  6. For Versatile Spellcaster... any spell prepared for a cleric?
  7. For Rashemi Spirit Magic... any spell prepared for a cleric?