View Single Post

Thread: By request: Workshopping another Ranger

1. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: By request: Workshopping another Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I'm trying to do essentially the opposite of Natural Explorer (which is to say *not* take away from the exploration pillar and make the player and DM *want* to engage in it).
    I agree whole heartedly with this assumption.

The hunter is modeled as the Ranger+ like the Champion is the Fighter+, there is deliberately less flavor added as it's supposed to be just more of the same. The Beastmaster and Warden add additional flavor to match the additional mechanics they incorporate.
    I also think this is a good design choice.

Edit: On the topic of subclasses, Beastmaster and Warden are filled in but still have to complete the Hunter.
    Some great new additions! I particularly like your Instinctive Recovery. It's new, it's fresh, and it takes the edge off of those moments where you feel like you wasted resources for nothing.
    I think the Beastcall features are realy cool, but I also have never played a beastmaster (not realy my thing), nor have I ever played at a table with a summoner-type player. So I have never experienced a situation where lots of minions slow everything to a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    Quarry Bonus: If the rogue is the flanking striker, can we make ranger the opposite? If a creature has no other creatures (allies?) within 5 feet of it, it triggers your quarry damage as if it were marked by your Quarry feature?
    Seeing as Quarry rewards a player for attacking the same target several times, wont this go against that, by rewarding attacks on new, "un-quarry'ed" targets? Though it would of course give you the quarry dmg bonus on the first strike, at which point you can mark them, and you can carry on as usual.

You could maybe just add to the current one, that if you are wielding a ranged weapon, and your quarry moves more than 30 feet away from you, you can attack it once as a reaction.

Alternatively you could make the feature be "if your quarry moves less than 5 feet during its turn (stand still), you can use your reaction to attack it once". Emulating how modern day hunters often wait until their target stands still, so you are more certain of a clean shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    Can we swap Primal Awareness for ...

I'm having a hard time articulating why this is so much more fun to use during a session than the 1-mile version, but it is.
    I can see what you are getting at. The latter version seems more like actively searching and being a ranger, rather than just going Ping like a sonar. But I also think Kane0 is right in saying, that the "what has passed here in the last 24 hours" would be pretty well covered by a good survival roll.

Speaking of: Is it not a bit too strong, that the Ranger also benefits from his own guiding? As you mentioned, Kane0, the Ranger can potentially get double wisdom mod and double prof to a survival check. Potentially a whopping +22 on the roll.
    Though guiding a wise rogue could lead to the same thing of course, I would think it less likely for a rogue to have 20 wisdom.

I'm currently doing the lazy thing and adjusting the ranger spells then putting them on the druid list.
    Maybe some of the druid spells should be removed from the final list? Just to avoid the ranger getting access to a wider selection of spells than the full casting druid.

Hunter's Terrain Adaptation:
    I know, that tying a specific damage type to a whole terrain type will to some degree always be a stretch. But I was looking at the current ones, and the Forest: Acid kind of sticks out to me.
    What is it about forests that make you resistant to acid? With that in mind, I thought I'd give my thoughts on them:

Arctic: Cold - pretty straight forward
    Desert: Fire - possibly radiant for the scorching sun. but fire is the go to desert resistance in dnd
    Coast: Lightning - or thunder, but lightning is more iconic
    Forest: Piercing - thorns n' stuff. Or bludgeoning/force - falling branches n' stuff
    Grassland: Thunder, lightning or fire - for being caught in the open during storms and also wildfires
    Swamp: Poison - The iconic go-to.
    Underground: Necrotic - acid might work here, but necrotic is also fine
    Urban: Psychic - Makes sense.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Jaxby; 2019-09-02 at 02:35 PM.