Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
Even in cases of passive protagonists, there is usually some sort of an active element (usually a side character) doing the actual job.
"Inspector Gadget" and "Big Trouble in Little China" are the first two examples that pop in my head.

Here, the passive nature that should lead nowhere is "fixed" by random elements, and I can't currently consider the wild zone randomness as an active element if non of the characters (as well as our knowledge of that place) make it seem like something unnatural that should be investigated.
Nope, everything that happens can be shrugged off as natural while the real mystery is what's written on a random sheet of paper.
With Inspector Gadget and Big Trouble, while the "main" characters are passive, they both still have active characters driving the plot (Penny and Wang Chi, respectively). Part of the point of those stories is that we're, essentially, following the side kicks who do nothing instead of the main heroes. They switch up the formula without sacrificing quality. It's that old adage: you have to know the rules if you want to break them. If you want a passive main character, you have to understand why active characters are innately better so that you can do it correctly. I don't think Mookie has either the insight or talent to pull it off.

(Another great example of passive lead done right is Fight Club.)

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
So he is passive because the discoveries happened NOT due to his actions? I mean, he certainly did his best. He searched through the library, tried to help the ink witch as best he could, located the ship and let it know where to go, so on and so forth. he hasnt been sitting back and waiting on the plot to happen, he has been going out looking for it! He just failed in his activities for the most part.
And how is that better? No, I'm seriously asking here: how is a character who fails to be active in any way better than one who's passive? Sure, Snout is trying to drive the plot, but ultimately, nothing he does matters. All his actions are for naught, and the plot just progresses on its own without him. Unless Mookie is intentionally trying to portray Snout as worthless (and I seriously doubt he is), then it's still poor writing.