View Single Post

Thread: By request: Workshopping another Ranger

1. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: By request: Workshopping another Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    Once per turn or every attack on the attack of the attack action should scale equally between the subclasses. Having on both attacks should even buff the hunter more than the other two sub-classes due to rerolls or extra dice. Lessening it to once per turn will mainly nerf the class as a whole compared to other classes.
    You say "Should" even though I have provided comparisons between the hunter and the beastmaster, using both mechanics, and compared it to other classes. This makes me feel your are objecting for the sake of objecting, rather than as means on understanding one another and reaching the truth, or at least a shared conclusion.

For clarity for future readers, I've added some other-class damage comparisons over here

You can clearly see how the 2x quarry once per turn not only brings the classes closer together, but also makes it more in line with other consistent damage dealers, namely the Rogue and Barbarian.

I might be just being a drama queen here, but I really don't see why bringing the damage output of the subclasses closer together, and the class' damage closer to those of other classes in a similar role, is a bad thing?
    We don't even have to sacrifice flavor to do it. If something is free, and makes things better, it's a good thing, right?

EDIT
    oh... every attack of the attack action. Ok, sorry, my bad. I guess I got confused because the beastmaster still states that the beast can trigger the Quarry damage. Having it only affect attacks of the attack actions would lower the damage of all subclasses equally, but that would still leave the beastmaster multiple points ahead of the Hunter, so the problem persists. Note that this damage discrepancy means that if the beast were to die, the Beastmaster would still deal damage competitive to the Hunter.

Basically a Beastless Beastmaster is a Hunter without the ability to reroll quarry dice, which only adds up to 1 or 2 points of damage per turn.

EDIT 2: I added the "Quarry only applies to attacks made as a part of the attack action" to the link here on the far right. The results are pretty much identical to my suggested fix, except it does a worse job of leveling out the subclasses. It only manages to reduce the discrepancy by a little less than half, while my version manages to reduce it by 80%.

Your hunter does exactly 2 more points of damage then mine, but your beastmaster does 4 more damage than mine. Which is still unacceptable.

Is my fix so crazy? Changing a couple of lines of text at no cost of theme or niche? I feel like I'm defending something that should speak for itself. But then again, I have done so multiple times over the course of this thread and always ended up being proven wrong with time. I guess I just have to let the data speak for itself, and hope that everything turns out alright.