Quote Originally Posted by Varen_Tai View Post
I'm still on my first playthrough, so I'm still doing the classic RTwP and haven't tried the TBS version yet. Thoughts? Is it worth giving a go on a new run with TBS?
I would say it is, simply because it's such a different experience. It's remarkably smooth, considering that it was basically an after-hours passion project by some of the developers. And it makes things so much easier to keep track of. Sadly, there's a number of balance issues, mostly arising from transitioning seconds into rounds and action speed becoming initiative. Thus losing most of its value.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
One other solution to the issue, of course, would have be to use 3.x-style multiclassing, otherwise known as One Of The Best Ideas Ever. Then you can ensure to tip your hat to the narrative mechanics and still have most of your cake to eat it.

No, really, I geniunely think 3.x multiclassing system was the single best idea it ever had, something so obvious, I was like "why was this never thought of before?"

(Granted, you can certainly make an arguement that the implimentation of caster v noncaster in 3.x specifically could have been better, but it'd be easy enough to houserule with some multiclass feat adjustments if you really wanted...)
3.5-style multiclassing was on the docket for Deadfire a while. Then the designers rather correctly predicted what a balancing nightmare it would be and scrapped it in favor of what we eventually got.