Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
I could never get into Twig, because I really don't enjoy children as characters. Or at least, Wildbow's take on children characters.

Spoiler: Worm Timeskip and Ending
Show
I like the ending, I feel it's very thematic with Taylor's journey. She's someone who sacrificed parts of herself every step of the journey, and ends with her sacrificing what makes her a person at all. And in the end her reward is to become a monster. To be unceremoniously executed (yes, I maintain that she dies at the end) to protect the world from her.

The timeskip though? Was without a doubt the weakest part of the story. The Wards get barely any screentime, and what little they do has basically nothing to do with who Taylor becomes. They put in two new Endbringers, and we don't actually get a full fight scene with either of them. Not to mention all the BS of Taylor in prison, the PR stuff, ect. It all combines for a really weak lead up to the end arc with the Slaughterhouse 9000 and the fight against Scion.

The Slaughterhouse 9000 was only mediocre as well. It had some cool moments, but the majority of it was irrelevant. The stuff not dealing with Jack directly was basically a time waster. Which brings us to the Scion fight, and I feel they did a pretty good job at that. A threat so great that humanity can't win, and so humanity stops trying and starts infighting. And Taylor desperately trying to find a way to be relevant against a threat of that magnitude. And nothing working until she well, sacrificed her sanity. Even that wasn't enough, it just put her on enough of a threat level to buy time for the rest of the Undersiders, who were the only people she refused to enslave, to give her the actual solution.

But for all of that? In doesn't come anywhere close to the fight against Coil or Enchinda or Tagg/Alexandria in quality. That was where the story was at it's best.
Spoiler
Show
I really didn't like the fight with Scion, to be honest. The fights against Behemoth, Echidna and Leviathan were great and illustrated what big supers fighters can be like, godzilla vs. justice league style. The fight against Coil and the first fight against the 9 were great for being about out thinking people and feeling boxed in by others' plans.

The second slaughter house arc was okay, Jack dying to Grey Boy was perfect and Nibolg was a cool (if too briefly passed over) character. The time skip was bad. They could have skipped the Behemoth fight and just had Leviathan, Behemoth and Skimurgh fight Scion and it would have been exactly the same without adding in the three new Endbringers.

Taylor always wanted to sacrifice herself, it was a major component of her character from the beginning. She was willing to risk herself to fight Lung, then to infiltrate the Undersiders, etc. If the story is a Greek tragedy I could see going that way, but it felt like Taylor had been slowly learning to not be that person who risks themselves endlessly, abandons her friends and uses force to get other people to comply. She even had a moment in the Cauldron rescue where she says that Skitter would have sacrificed herself to save everyone but Taylor wouldn't.