Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
Azo Redeemer of Men
Gold Dragon Wyrmling
The self appointed secret protector of a small mining town. Able to change his shape, but only into a Squirrel, a Finch, and an Otter.
Flaw: is always Gold Colored.
New: Able to become a (male) Halfling with bright Gold Eyes.
This was enjoyable to write... Had some fun with the idea... Wasn't sure what mining town you had in mind, and you had mentioned staying away from the Swordcoast in one of your posts... So I picked a place far to the East of it... and where a Golden Dragon might call home... Naturally, there's a bit of tragedy in this story... but it's to explain the father's view on humans, and why Azo should stay away from them (which you hadn't mentioned, but I thought would add some flavor to Azo in his "mortal guise")...
As always, change what's needed (the name of his mortal guise is a combo of me and my wife's Halfling Characters from EverQuest)...
I'd love to hear feedback!
Enjoy!
=================================
“We must not meddle in the affair of mortal,” Aurum said, his golden scales reflecting on the setting sun, as his gaze looked down at Parnast, a village that sat in the wild frontier, just east of the Greypeak Mountains.

Azo, Aurum’s youngest and only offspring looked up at his father. “Why?”

“Because many mortals are driven by greed,” Aurum explained, matter-of-factly. “I wish I could say otherwise,” he said turning to face his son. His heart ached and bled, because it had been mortals, bandits, who had tricked, trapped and killed Aurum’s mate and Azo’s mother, Aurelian. Aurum knew not all humans were like the murderous bandits who had lured his mate, but he was not willing to take that chance with Azo. “Stay away from them,” he said gruffly, trying to push down the memory of his mate, murdered and cut open, which still burned fresh in his mind.

Azo sighed. He understood his father’s warning and why his father urged him to stay away from mortals. Azo, though he missed his mother greatly, never blamed all humans for the actions of the few murderous bandits. Aurum cranked his neck, his neck sparkling just as the final rays of sunlight died behind the horizon, “Stay here. Stay away from the humans. There is urgent business that I, and other Elderly Dragons must attend to. Promise me you will stay away.”

“Of course,” Azo nodded, but his eyes drifted from his father, down the Parnast.

As the full moon rose, in her eternal effort to chase down the sun, Aurum took to the skies, his mind solely on his son’s wellbeing.

Azo, however, was already thinking about the mortals. If the problem had been that the mortals would attack him for being a dragon; then the answer was to not be a dragon. For the next several days, Azo attempted to polymorph himself into something else. He had managed to change into a squirrel, a finch, even an otter – but there was a problem. Each one of those forums were gold in color; something that would undoubtedly attract human attention and lead to his capture.

What if he could be a mortal? Or at least look like one? Several nights were spent practicing, until finally he had polymorphed himself into a young Halfling. The gold reflected in his eyes marked his identity, but by every other aspect, Azo had looked like a normal halfling. He took to traveling down the mountain side and adopted the name of “Morobunce Goldendaisy.” He spent his days in Parnast, interacting with other mortals, and learning from them. The times he knew his father would be returning, he would leave, resume his form up in the Greypeak Mountains.

Years passed, and he became a bit of a celebrity in his mortal guise in Parnast. People wondered where Morobunce Goldendaisy would disappear for days, sometimes weeks on end. And when he returned, he always elaborated on some exciting tale to explain his disappearances which made him more and more of a celebrity. His father, Aurum, never learned the truth and soon left his son to be on his own.

Azo never stopped caring about mortals and was always excited to take on his “Morobunce Goldendaisy” form whenever he could.