1. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Worst Games You have ever played (in your opinion)

Hmmm, I've got an odd one. Not counting any games that where so 'meh' that I just can't remember them, I think it has to be Divinity: original sin 2. Now, please, hear me out here before jumping down my throat about why I feel this way about such a generally well-liked RPG. I think Divinity's story was absolutely great, and the basic loop of its gameplay could be pretty nice as well. However, its combat and overall world design is so damn punishing that it sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me. You're basically required to find and do every last side-quest to remain on-level, even if some of those side-quests are things your character really wouldn't want to be involved in. Even then, a lot of combats are ambushes where the opponents go first and if you hadn't spread out the party to the most optimal positions beforehand, you'd just die before even getting to have a turn. Playing Divinity is like playing DnD with a killer DM whose only claim to fairness is that the DMG technically doesn't forbid sending CR10 encounters at level 4 parties without any warning or foreshadowing.

Now maybe I should have just gotten good. However, Divinity presented itself as a story-driven RPG about making choices and going on quests, not as a difficult grind requiring endless repetition and reading of guides to 'git gud'. When I want to play a game like that I'll just pick up a soulslike, most of which are designed for that loop and at least feel fair while they kill you over and over and over again. Divinity: original sin 2 just never felt fair to me, and that's a shame as it has a really nice story and tries to do some really nice things with freedom of choice and consequence in an RPG.

/rant
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-21 at 07:24 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays