My car radio has recently glitched out and many parts of it aren't working. While I'm waiting for the company to get a replacement in, I'm essentially limited to listening to a single radio station. (Other audio means, like bluetooth are disabled.) All this to say that for the the past few weeks I've been listening to a decent amount of car radio, ads and all.

Radio ads are (IMO) annoying/silly/out of touch. That's a given. But there's a car dealership that has been playing ads that have been making me irrationally angry. I don't know why this is, so I turn to playground to see if anyone has similar experience (or has heard the same ad), or knows why I might be having this reaction.

The ad begins with a two people supposedly meeting up at a gym (let's call the town Townsville), and continues more or less as follows. For what it's worth, Townsville Gym is an actual business in town.

A: "Oh hey B! I didn't expect to see you here. Are you a Townsville Gym member too?"
B: "Yeah, I just joined! The membership is really reasonable, and the facility has a great pool. Plus, it's right next to where I work."
A: "That's why I'm a member too, and their hours are really convenient. By the way, is that a new [Car Model] you just got out of?"
B: "Yeah! I got it at [Dealership]! They have really low interest rates--"

Yadda Yadda. From there on, it turns into a regular blatant dealership commercial. The radio is full of dealership commercials that I normally just tune out. But for some reason, this one has infuriated me to the point where I'm writing about it online. Normally I just tune out commercials I don't care about, but this one I will angrily hit the mute button on my radio the moment I hear it come on and drive in silence for the next minute or so. (Before you say 'Then the ad is working!' I disagree. I refuse to give them any business because of how much I hate this ad, and I will not be sharing the name of this company or how to find them.)

What makes commercial so darn annoying? Is it because it seems like it's going to be a Townsville Gym commercial first? Has anyone else had a similar experience?