2019-10-27, 06:00 PM (ISO 8601)
Barbarian in the Playground
Re: How do you name the Gods?
You can use a name generator, or you could use a deity/pantheon generator if you're really lazy.
You can search through names and their meanings and then alter whatever you find.
You can have your players name the (good) deities. Or create them. Why do you have to do all the work?
Bob. They are all named Bob.
Do what Jack Kirby did in Eternals. Take the names of Greek or Norse deities and change them slightly.
Or you could just skip the whole pantheon making thing. There's plenty of reasons not to start with it in the first place.
- It's a lot of work, and you don't have time for that.
- The players aren't interested in going through 100 deities with a 1 page description anyway.
- The players think your spreadsheet pantheon is made up out of 2 dimensional characters.
- You have no knowledge of theology or philosophy and your creation myth is riddled with plot holes.
- There's a couple of good pantheons in the PHB to choose from.
I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just trying to point out that it's hard to make an interesting pantheon that works for your setting.
Last edited by the_david; 2019-11-01 at 06:24 PM.