Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
Spoiler
Show
Galactic Droccen Imperium

NUT

Droccen had distanced itself a bit from the Ninurtine Empire after that embarrassing identity theft episode at Sai's Coronation. Whether it had been a deliberate pulling back of relations by the Empress or a natural consequence of the vast amounts of space between them was a difficult thing to say. And then there was the matter of the Celenians and Sai's would-be suitor as the Ninurtine's closest ally, Well, it certainly hadn't made relations less awkward between them, though credit had to be given to Celes, they had come through with the gift of a crucial technological advancement when it looked as if there would be war between Droccen and Zara. Had that been Constantine too? No matter. Sai had accepted the Ninurtine's offer to stay within the Imperial Pavillion, it seemed likely to be another attempt at an olive branch.

Sai, with Kuro ever after her, tracked down the Ninurtine Empress to relay her condolences.

"Empress Daregense..." Sai held out her hands to grasp her peer's.

"You have my sincere condolences for your Emperor's death. Cherahiteth was a fine man and leader." She gave the other woman's hands a squeeze, her heart constricting a little with worry for her own husband's health.

"He offered a treaty between our people years ago, did he ever tell you? But then the events of the Coronation..." She let her words trail off and looked slightly embarrassed.

"Perhaps it would be worth revisiting at a more opportune time?" Like when you aren't mourning? Her implication was clear though she attempted to delicately dance around the matter.
"Thank you for your kind words," Daregense said. "Our marriage was entirely personal, did you know? There was no diplomatic purpose. For years I thought I had done well, but now I find myself in mourning twice over - for my Emperor and for my husband.

"Still," she said with a faint smile, "the business of state never rests, as you no doubt know, and now I have my duties as regent to perform to boot.

"I remember the treaty well, and subject to being brought up to date I am sure it can be agreed. Given its content, however, it should probably bear the signature of an Emperor, rather than a regent. While I cannot pre-judge the election, it seems more than likely that Durgadoresh will be crowned, and since he was instrumental in preparing the first draft, I see no reason he would refuse now. If not him, though, then most likely the present Arch-Aristocrate will be crowned, and he is less predictable. His predecessor, whom I suspect you remember, was a keen supporter of mutual recognition with Droccen, but she is no longer in power, her successor is largely an unknown quantity, and I am uncomfortably aware that Ledahadden's enthusiasm for a Droccen alliance directly contributed to her death...

"So waiting before signature would probably be necessary regardless of other considerations," she sighed. "But-" she added with a slightly mischevious smile - "it is within my power to honour the subsidiary terms of the treaty prior to agreement, and that I would be happy to do."