1. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Broken Cosmology - Designing a Lovecraftian-ish Pantheon

Quote Originally Posted by amkirkla View Post
    The Gnossos

The very first drafts of this system had the Gnossos as Narlathotep with the serial numbers filed off. Later drafts turned him/it into a Confucian scholar-type deity, combined with a Gnostic love of secret knowledge and hatred for the physical world.
    From this I think the Gnossos should be the Platonic form of the scholar (student and teacher). The Unity was omniscient. It was the only thing that existed, and by knowing itself, it knew everything. When the Unity shattered, each remnant lost this omniscience. The Hunger wants to eat/be everything, the Gnossos want to know everything. It wants all knowledge from all minds that have ever existed. If minds are locked in single bodies in single instances of time, this sharing of information is impossible.
    The sharing of information of information between minds creates the Gnossos. As long as communication is imperfect, (i.e. anything short of blasting all the information in that ever been inside your head to all being at once) and as it has the potential to be polluted by misinformation, the Gnossos remains incomplete. (Perhaps its not really a Platonic being yet).

The Void:
    As long as something exists, the Void is pushed away and outward, sort of a reverse prison.

The Hierarchy or Archon (which to choose…)
    For a plan to be a plan, it must have a source, and purpose. Hierarchies also need a source (who made you king?) and/or a purpose (In this situation whoever is best at …. accumulates power). So, to use this interpretation we need to figure out two things, what is the source of the Hierarchy (The Unity? The Gnosssos?), and what is its purpose (restore the Unity, make the Gnossos omniscient, create a paradise for all beings)? If we can think of good answers to these questions, then I will go with the Hierarchy.
    If we can’t find satisfactory answers to these questions, then I will go with the Archon (although I will need to find a way to make it more interesting than simply DAE JESUS CAMP BAD?)

The Anima (with change/retcon):
    I am going to make the reincarnation system closer IRL Hinduism and Bhuddism. (In my first draft, the other Primordials were just Choatic Lovecraft entities that wanted to eat the world. Under those circumstance, service to the Anima seemed reasonable yet GRIMDARK. Under the newer system, it doesn’t seem as appealing as the other options).
    In the NEW CANON: When a sentient dies, he/she will be reborn as a new sentient/animal/plant ect. The nature of your rebirth will depend on your karma/purity/corruption. If you perform actions that help the Anima/preserve existence as we know it creates good Karma and will give you a better rebirth. Actions that hurt the Anima/life on earth/existence as we know it will result in bad karma.
    The soul shredding/recycling that I mentioned earlier only happens to individuals who accumulate really bad karma, (e.i. this individual is so dangerous that the Anima can’t let her be reborn, or linger in the afterlife for too long). Even then, the soul will usually piece itself back together eventually.
    (Basically Samsara without Nirvana).
    The fact that you imagine the archon as "the jesus camp" is probably because you did not read much about Christianity and instead watched the mistakes of people following it.
    Christianity have an insistence on free will and on how god made humans in his image: free and Jesus complains about how proselytes tries to force people to follow their religion and Christians are essentially supposed to say "here is the good word if you want to you can follow" and not force people to do so.
    Of course the kind of people that makes a religion keep running are the kind of people that forces other to follow their religion which is why currently Christianity that follows better the rules about how you are supposed to spread the faith than before is progressively regressing in follower percentage while religions where officially "people who do not follow this religion X must die or convert" gets their follower percentage to increase over time.
    The Archon seems more similar to "die or convert" religions due to how you are literally unable to not worship the Archon should it win.

So please do not write "the Jesus religion" while it is more "religion that is shaped in an evolutionary functional way"
    I am quite sure you can probably by searching a bit at least find a religion that does not insists on freedom of will: there is tons of them should you search even a little bit.
    TL DR: functional religions works with the rule "convert or die", the Archon seems based on this model due to the whole "lack of choice whenever to convert or not" and Christianism is not a religion based on convert or die model (heck it is even a religion that says you can be rewarded in the afterlife without following it) which is probably why the number of Christians lowers over time.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-13 at 12:52 PM.