Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
I've seen the Princess Bride clip, but this is basically like "I know that you know that I know...", but in the sense of "if X then he's a wolf, but then he's Y so he's not a wolf..." and so on, right?

If so: yeah, I get that feeling, too.
"All right. Where is the wolf? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you vote, and find out who is right, and who is dead."
"But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you! Are you the sort of man who would act the way you've been acting if you were a wolf, or act that way if you were town? Now, a clever wolf would act as though they were town, because he would know that only a great fool would vote to lynch a townie. I'm not a great fool, so I clearly cannot vote for the player in front of me! But you must have known I was not a great fool! You would have counted on it, so I clearly cannot vote for the player in front of you!"
"You've made your decision, then?"
"Not remotely! Because your time zone is in Australia. And as you know, your posting patterns don't line up with that time zone unless you don't trust us, and you are clearly not trusted by me, so I clearly cannot vote for the player in front of you..."
"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."
"Wait 'til I get going! Where was I?"
"Australia"
"Yes, Australia! And you must have suspected that I would have known your time zone, so I can clearly not vote for the player in front of you."
"You're just stalling now."
"You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've lynched my lookout, which means you're exceptionally confident, so you could be the wolf trusting on your intellect to save you, so I can clearly not vote for the player in front of you! But you would have learned from your many games of Mafia that anyone can die, so you clearly would have distanced yourselves from the other wolves as far as possible, so I can clearly not vote for the player in front of me!"
"You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work."
"It has worked! You've given everything away, I know where the wolf is!"
"Then make your choice!"
"I will, and I choose..."
[...]
"You guessed wrong!"
"You only think I guessed wrong, that's what's so funny! I switched votes when you were AFK! Hahaha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!"
[...]
"And to think. All that time it was you who was the wolf."
"We were both wolves. I spent the last few days distancing myself from my fellow wolves."