I think we need to leave the "take a joke" thing because it isn't going anywhere and the people that don't understand why it is a problem aren't going to figure it out here. There is a lot more to say on it, but it all doesn't fit in this thread and most of it isn't appropriate for these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
This isn't exclusive to older games, but I really hate when you face an enemy, defeat that enemy, and then the game proceeds as if you lost. This is doubly obnoxious if losing to the enemy results in failure to progress.

Either make the fight super difficult/impossible and then let me progress after being defeated, or don't make me play through the battle at all.
It is especially annoying when you've not only beat them, but beat them thoroughly and with no difficulty at all.
It is even more annoying when they "surround you" with a few more mooks than normal and suddenly you can't win the fight in a cutscene even though the game has shown you over and over again that you can beat them without even trying.
But that is almost always a case of bad writing more than anything else and it happens in virtually all mediums, plenty of movies do essentially the same thing.

To go back to the "too many skills" thing earlier and the complaint about Wastelands 2 in particular, having just finished replaying the game a couple days ago, without grinding or doing anything unusual, I had every non-combat skill at 9-10 (max) by the end. With the exception of bartering, but I ended up with like 15-20k of scrap so it's hardly like I needed it, and every character had max in their weapon, but I didn't have all the weapons between the party, I even had several with a dozen skill points just sitting around because I didn't have any reason to put them to anything.