View Single Post

Thread: MTG Share your Card Designs II

1. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MTG Share your Card Designs II

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    And I disregarded it because it's logically inconsistent, with what you said before.
    It's quite annoying how you consistently miss the point.

By your logic.
    Since every color has Wither/Infect, every color can place -1/-1 on a creature. Since every color can negate +1/+1 counters, every color should have ability to prevent +1/+1 counters. This is counters both you listing White and Green, as counter negating colors, the Magic Color pie and the cards they printed in general.
    Every color gets wither or infect, but every color doesn't get -1/-1 counters in general, only black does. The only blue cards that can remove counters from a permanent do so by dealing combat damage to it. They are not allowed to do it on some other trigger, which is what I said the ability was like.
    "Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on a creature an opponent controls, put -1/-1 counter on that creature."
    This is effectively what Blightbeetle does, and black is allowed to do that while blue isn't.

You focused on a single sentence of my argument while ignoring the rest.

Set mechanics are allowed a little more room with what the colors are allowed to do, see Unearth and Eternalize in blue. You wouldn't say reanimation was blue just because there are blue cards with unearth.

Furthermore, there is a mechanical difference between placing a +1/+1 counter and negating with a -1/-1 counter and just preventing counters from being placed.
    Yes of course there is a slight difference, but 95% of the time that difference isn't going to be relevant. If instead of a trigger it just placed the -1/-1 counter along with the +1/+1 counter then the difference wouldn't be relevant 99%

Things that trigger when placing counters or removing counters, would respond to placing removing either of those counters. If counter is negated nothing is added/removed, ergo nothing will be triggered.
    They're not exactly the same, but the cover the same utility in the majority of cases.
    It's also relevant to point out that the version I wrote couldn't get printed, as Wizards stick to either +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters in each set, so if they wanted that effect they would need to make it counter prevention.

A blue card is allowed to do nonblue things if they somehow function blue. Similarly it isn't allowed to do blue things in a non blue way. Twisted Reflection for instance does two blue things, but combined they become a black thing. Bonded Fetch is a blue card with haste, which shouldn't happen, but it's a defender with a loot ability, so the haste doesn't let it attack right away, making it oka

Hey man, I didn't come up with that Cat card. As for reasons well, it's a bit crippling. You waste sideboard slots for ramp. The idea is interesting, even if it leads nowhere.
    It was you who argued for it, I don't know why you're suddenly all defensive.

Catch up ramp, is not as good as a ramp. You can't play catch up from the front, only from behind.
    Yes, that's the definition of catch up ramp. Every color has things they can do and things they can't do.
    We had a discussion about ramp in white s

The funny thing about that card is that it's an Instant Creature. MaRo talked that one of his largest regrets is that they should have made Flash into a supertype vs a keyword, and then just have "Sorceries" and "Instant/Flash Sorceries", then there would be no need to list Instant and Sorcery on things like Spellmastery or Snapcaster mage, etc. But it's probably too late to rename them to "Magic/Spell/Instant Sorceries", at this point.
    I hadn't noticed it was an instant. Not gonna happen then.

Oh the card is super busted. Forest each turn? I don't even need to play that many forests.
    It's pretty slow, but it's probably undercosted.

I do like idea of unsleeved lands as "tokens". For all purposes, they are visually distinguishable.
    They would need to print the land tokens if they ever did it.

On the opposite side, I also liked Wrath of Sod that used manabound tokens, although the fact that it's a counter means it affects playability, since you could have +1/+1 counters and those manabound counters. That's why I used artifact to exile a creature. Since you can tap a them.
    I'm just not convinced there is any way to do it this way instead of Settle the Wreckage.

Zyym is one of the few cards, that will probably see print at some point. Him and that Innocous Insect. Although Insect is Buyback and that's high on Storm scale.
    A permanent with buyback I don't see happening.

If your life is lower than your corruption you die.
    That's not different than just dealing an extra damage.

If your corruption goes over starting life, you die.
    I want it to be difficult enough to get corruption that it's not going to matter pretty much ever.
    It's just not worth the use of design space, as it's only ever going to matter against life gain, and since most corruption cards also deal damage it's only going to matter against heavy life gain.

If every corruption counter also deals 1 damage then they're just going to be more difficult to get.

I'm not sure how difficult I want it to be to get corruption, I think my current design makes it too hard, but gettng 20 should definitely be something that almost never happens.

If Wizards ever decide to print things like Ral's Vanguard it could make corruption easier to scale, compared to poison.
    Are you aware Vanguards are already a thing?

I mean, I forget how much poison it is in EDH vs 2HG.

Turn to Stone - 1W
    Enchantment - Aura - Uncommon
    Enchant creature or land.
    Enchanted permanent is a Plains.(it becomes a Plains and loses all other abilities and types)
    It shouldn't be able to target a land, I don't think white gets to strip lands of abilities.
    Otherwise it's fine, though I would probably make you unable to target your own stuff with it.

It's a somewhat worse version of Path of Exile (easier to remove and not as enduring) on the other hand, it's ramp and land destruction. That said, it's a very white sort of land destruction (and white theoretically has land destruction).
    White only gets mass land destruction, they don't get single target and they don't get Spreading Seas effects IIRC.

I'm thinking od moving it to W and adding the clause "Enchant creature or land you control".
    The removal feel very white, the ramp part not so much.

Infected Cutthroat - 1B
    Creature - Human Rogue - U
    Infected Cutthroat has menace as long defending player has a corruption counter.
    Infected Cutthroat has deathtouch as long as defending player has three or more corruption counters.
    2/1

Pox Drone - 1B
    Creature - Drone - C
    Flying
    Whenever Pox Drone deals combat damage to an opponent, you may sacrifice it. If you do, that play loses 2 life and gains a corruption counter.
    1/1

Scorching Lacerator - 3RR
    Creature - Elemental - U
    Trample
    When Scorching Lacerator enters the battlefield, target opponent gains a corruption counter.
    Scorching Lacerator gains +1/+0 for each corruption counter on defending player.
    4/4

Foul Cur - 2R
    Creature - Hound - C
    2R: Foul Cur gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. Activate this ability no more than once each turn, and only if an opponent has five or more corruption counters.
    3/2

Spreading Infection - 1B
    Instant - C
    Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Put a corruption counter on that creature's controller.
    Draw a card.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-30 at 04:25 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature