Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
As a GM, I really really really loved the fact that no character trait in DCH depends on any other, and nothing has to be looked up or calculated except adding up the cost (which is for PCs only; NPCs don't keep track of points). That meant that, once I was familiar with the power and skill descriptions, I could create a villain's stats fast as quickly as I could write them down. And then use a quick simulated combat against the PC's stats to figure out how many hero points to give them to make a balanced fight. For creating villains, it really is the easiest system I've ever played.
M&M is basically the same. Since it is supposed to be balanced around "power level" all you need to know is the bonus to hit, the bonus to saves, and rank of an effect and you have an NPC.

An NPC can be as simple as:

The Beholder - Power Level 10
+10 to Hit with Gazer Beams
"Gazer Beams" - Ranged Damage 10
Toughess: +8
Dodge: +12
Parry: +12
Fort: +6
Will: +14
Max skill bonus: +20

As a GM you have all the numbers you need to make an NPC go. It's possible to get way, way more complicated but not at all necessary. Given that attributes are used to calculate derived stats the only thing we might be missing is a strength score for hand to hand combat, but for an NPC that has "Gazer Beams" lets go ahead and say his to hit in melee is +0 and a strength of 0 which is the default.