1. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What's One "Old Game" Mechanic That You Don't Miss?

Phantasy Star II had the secret visiphone.

To get it first you need the thief character that every time you exit a shop they have a chance to leave the party and go back to the protagonist's house where they'll have "found" a new item that matched the shop's list.

But to get the visiphone you had to enter and exit the main administrative building that at that point of the game you have no reason at all to visit let alone multiple times (chance to steal find an item being random and all).

And what does the secret visiphone do for all your trouble? Why yes it's the only way to save the game outside of a town. And PS II had pretty long and hard dungeons so whitout the visiphone it was unfairly hard.

Actually no excuse at all nowadays for a game to not let you save anytime outside of battle at least.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-12-13 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."