Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
I assume you can't use a normal object interaction to extend/retract an item? If you can't, that along with the one-extend/retract limit should be sufficient to remove most of the problematic interactions.
If this were the case, then you'd want an integrated shield and a non-integrated weapon, so that you could don the shield and draw the weapon at the same time. I don't think there should be a downside to integrating an item, so I'd say you could still extend or retract an item the same way you would normally draw/stow/don/doff that item, in addition to the free extend/retract. So you could, for example, use your free extend/retract to sheathe your weapon, cast a spell with your now-free hand, then use your regular item interaction to draw/extend the weapon again.

If you're worried about this, then it should be sufficient to specify that you can't both extend and retract the same item on the same turn.

This would still however allow you to start combat with a shield up and a greatsword in one hand [...]
Yeah, I can see the problem with that. Hmmm... Maybe the free extend/retract should be changed to a free extend only. You can still pop out both a weapon and shield on round one, but putting the shield away still requires an action.

I'm worried that this might start getting too complicated, but I think it's not too bad so far.

As for the limit, I don't think it's critical, but when it comes to two-handed weapons, it's a matter of bulk. It makes no sense for a pike to take up as much space as a dagger, no matter how much telescoping techno-nonsense is involved.
It's true that it's somewhat of a gaming abstraction. If you wanted to try to rationalize it, you could say that it's not so much the size, but about coordination. Using a limb requires a certain amount of coordination, regardless of the limb's size, so adding extra arms, legs, or wings eventually gets to a point where your brain can't coordinate them all at once. Warforged might have something similar when it comes to integrating items.

Theoretically you could have six wagons
Boi, you're thinking small time. Try six warships.

But I see what you mean. I think the easiest way to handle this is to remove or change the effect where you ignore the item's weight. If you're a buff robot, you have more space to store things.

Which is a shame, because I liked the idea of integrating a portable ram so you could ignore the weight of the ram. That thing is heavy, and I can see most parties never bringing one because of that.