View Single Post

Thread: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

1. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

Though still visible enraged by Starislav's taunts, the Golden Lord's expression changes oddly when Rem brings up the topic of the angels. For a moment his certainty wavers, and he looks almost concerned, as though a painful revelation has just hit him.

"The....deceivers have retreated into hell?" he asks, breathlessly at first. But with each word, his tone becomes fiercer and booming, yet ever so slightly shakier. "No, your understanding of history may be better than mine. But if the situation is truly so dire..."

Suddenly, he rears back his head and gives a horrible mixture of scream and roar, filled with wrath and anguish. The grass beneath your feet bends under the weight of his emotion and the force of his shout, and even you have to brace for a moment.

"WHAT HELLISH NEW WORLD HAVE I AWOKEN TO?!? FIRST TO LEARN THAT THE CORRUPT INVADERS TORE DOWN OUR RIGHTEOUS PATH, AND NOW THE ANGELS HOLDING A THOUSAND YEARS WORTH OF SOULS?!?

I WILL NOT ALLOW IT!!!"

Breathing heavily, he directs his gaze at the ground, fists clenched tight at his sides. For a moment, it seems as though even Starislav's words are forgotten in the Golden Lord's sheer rage at the heavens. Among the trees around you, you catch glimpses of his scarred monks peeking out, perhaps drawn by their master's outrage. They don't attack for now, but it's not question whose side they would pick if it came to a fight.

Finally, the Golden Lord manages to calm himself somewhat, though his voice still remains more booming and ominous than before. It seems as though he is now in a rather foul mood. "Much time has passed since I last walked this realm. Far too much time! I don't care what you think, worm." That insult he spits directly at Starislav. "The power you were gifted blinds you to the will those who would rise above their station through their own will. To give them that chance, I must rebuild. And to free them from the angels, I will rebuild!"

Spoiler: Starislav
    Show
    Deep down, you feel it. Whatever the Golden Lord is ranting about, he truly seems to believe it. It's a kind of devotion to justice that you know all too well, though his definition of it seems to differ from your own.

Even as he shouts his declaration, you can't help but wonder. If what he is saying is true, it would imply that he has last walked the realm before the angels took ahold of hell, which would make him at least a thousand years old. Yet, only true divinity would make a living being able to bridge that sort of timespan.

Spoiler: Rem
    Show
    Your education in matters magical is far from complete, of course, but you do know at least that there are some few, esoteric, theurgic ways for a person to attain immortality. You doubt that the Golden Lord utilized any that you know of, since most of them are too spiritually inefficient. Had he used them, he would either be horrible mutated at this point, or would have had to sacrifice thousands of mortal souls to sustain himself, which would probably have been noticed. If he is a living human, only true divinity is on the table.

Averting his gaze for a moment, he directs a few words at Rem. "Rest easy at least, Redeemer Rem. You are no angel, that much I can tell. You are too human to be one. Much like the fiction of kind guardians they used to teach us before we saw the throne of heaven..." There is a bitterness to what he says.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2019-12-28 at 10:40 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.