1. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mafia Capital (WWC XI): Important Info Here -- READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Yeah I would. Under a spoiler, though.
    Yeah. I want it there if people feel unsure about what they are doing but not in the way. I may post it here while I get the rest of my post ready so that you guys can tell me if I got everything right or you have any suggestions about it. If that's okay, that is.

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    If you are a new player, welcome. I hope you enjoy the game. We do these regularly and the higher the participation, the more fun it will be. I will be here to answer any questions you have, as well as your fellow players. Some questions, by the nature of the game, will not have answers I can give until after the game.

It is important to note, if you are not familiar with this style of game, that this is not an RPG with rolls and dice. It is an adaptation of the game Mafia. It's also known as Werewolves or something but I am not sure which is the original. I always played Mafia in school. I have included the rules but please don't be overwhelmed, I tried to over explain to avoid confusion.

Spoiler: Basics
    Show
    Roles: Everyone is assigned a role at the beginning of the game. This will be done semi-randomly by me. Each role comes with it's own powers and win conditions. You will receive specific details about how your role works at the beginning of the game through PM. Your role is secret. Unless otherwise noted, you are the only one (besides me of course) who knows your role and how it works. So as far as character creation goes, just sign up and be ready to roll with your role.

Factions: Every role is assigned a faction. There are normally two or more factions. One faction is normally called Town. They are the "good guys." The other standard faction for the game are the Werewolves/Mafia. They are the "bad guys." In some games, there are other factions that have their own alignments. In this game, the Town is the X-Men and the Wolves are the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. There will be other neutral factions in this game, as long as we have enough people.

Playing the Game: You begin the game knowing nothing more than whatever I include in this recruitment post and whatever information you receive in your role PM. So you will not know who is town and who is a wolf unless you receive a role that begins with that information. That's the game, figuring it out. The game is played in two phases: Day Phase and Night Phase.
    During the Day Phase, everyone may place a vote on who they suspect of being a wolf. You place a vote by posting another player's name in Red. You may change your vote at any point by marking out your previous vote. If this is not done, I will not count your new vote. At the end of the day phase, the person with the most votes is "lynched" and removed from the game. The Day Phase lasts for 48 hours in this game.

During the Night Phase, people who have night powers will be able to use them. They privately tell me whom they would like to target with their power. You will be told of any results of your powers at the end of the night phase/beginning of the day phase. The Night Phase will last 48 hours.

Winning the Game: Each role or faction may have their own individual win conditions. As a whole though, people belonging to the Town win if they eliminate all of the Wolves. The Wolves on the other hand win if they bring the total number of Town to less than the total number of Wolves remaining. So if there are Four Wolves and only Three town, the Wolves will win. Most neutrals have win conditions independent of these two factions. Unless otherwise stated, if your faction wins, you win, even if you die.

I also wanted to include some notes about how communication will work.
    Spoiler: Communication
    Show
    Anything you post in the in game thread will be public for everyone to see.

You will each receive a quick topic link from me. Quick Topic is a website with a great system for making quick topical threads to allow communication. Any private communication, including power use, will be done through your quick topic (QT) thread. You do not need an account to use the thread. If you want to start a new one, I believe you do need an account but it is free. We use this to allow for private discussion without needing to clog up our PM Inboxes.

If you want to communicate privately with another player, then it is recommended that you create a quick topic thread and PM the link to both them and me. I should be kept in the loop with all game related communications and this method is the easiest.

You are not allowed to send anyone a screenshot of your role PM. I came up with that idea last game and then realized why it's a bad idea after being shut down for suggesting it.

Trust no one.

This part is far from necessary for any of you to look at yet but I'll throw it on here just because it's convenient and why not. Below are some terms that are used commonly as a short hand by players. If you are new and see a term you don't recognize, check this out.
    Spoiler: Some Basic Terms
    Show
    I'll add more as I think of them.
    Baner: Baners protect a target from kill powers.
    Blocker: Blockers can prevent someone from taking their night action.
    Scry: Usually refers to a power that gives you information about a player's role.

Recruitment Thread is Live for my X-Men themed game.
    Last edited by gac3; 2020-01-13 at 01:55 AM.