View Single Post

Thread: The Queen Midas of Alcohol

1. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Queen Midas of Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    That's pretty crazy, but wouldn't there have to be sugar in her urine for the yeast to convert into alcohol (we can assume it's an anaerobic environment)?
    She's diabetic; I suspect that means a fair amount of undigested sugar was passing through her system; I'm not a doctor, but isn't insulin necessary to process sugar, and if you don't have enough it goes straight through your system and does incalculable damage on the way?

Where did the CO2 go (the bladder isn't designed to hold gas, so it can't have gone unnoticed)?
    An excellent question to which I don't know the answer. Regrettably, the answers are probably behind the aforementioned paywall :(.

ETA: Layman speculation powers: ACTIVATE!
    I can only think of two vectors: Either the bloodstream or the urine itself. CO2 is a natural byproduct of cellular metabolism, isn't it? It goes into the bloodstream and thence via veins to the lungs and out to melt the planet. That's one route. The only other route I can think of is into -- and out with -- the urine. Urine changes color from deep yellow to near transparent based on the trace elements in it -- could CO2 be one of them.

Layman speculation: DE-ACTIVATE!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-02-26 at 07:06 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl