Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
She's diabetic; I suspect that means a fair amount of undigested sugar was passing through her system; I'm not a doctor, but isn't insulin necessary to process sugar, and if you don't have enough it goes straight through your system and does incalculable damage on the way?
Considering her age, she's most likely a Type II diabetic, that is her body isn't responding enough to insulin. Insulin tells the body to store sugar (specifically glucose) after it's been digested and absorbed out of food and the levels in blood are carefully maintained - the glucose doesn't cause damage in and of itself, but the way the body reacts to get rid of high levels of it (since the insulin isn't working) is detrimental.

There are two main concerns for high blood sugar (hyperglycemia); one is your blood being too concentrated as it uses up all the available water to flush out the excess glucose via urine; the second is that your body doesn't have enough energy reserves and can behave as if its starving.

As for where the CO2 went, most likely dissolved in her urine - if the concentration was enough for the CO2 to start off-gassing, then the pressure would have made her urinate. It's unlikely that it would ever reach this stage since her hyperglycemia would have been sending her to the toilet regularly anyway.

As for blood alcohol concentrations, I've found mentioned of a man with auto-brewery syndrome in the intestine who was arrested for driving while intoxicated and had a blood alcohol level of 200 mg/dL. If he were drinking, this would have equated to a BAC of 0.05% (in the UK and nearly all states in the US, 0.08% is the limit).