Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
I think that ambiguity is deliberate. Even prior to shenanigans like Night Watch, Earth Alliance has something of a xenophobic streak, so putting a soldier in a diplomat's job doesn't feel wholly implausible. It's a dumb idea, but it seems like a plausible error, given the attitude of the government. Plus there's a strong element of "speak softly and carry a big stick" to EA's policy. I think the intended implication is that they're ready, at a moment's notice, to back up their diplomacy with force if they have to.

It's never spelled out, but I think it's a setting detail designed to reinforce that the Earth Alliance isn't nearly as idealistic as the Federation. As becomes increasingly apparent as the plot goes on.
It was also the military that really established Earth as a major player on the galactic stage. It was Earth's leadership and forces during the Dilgar war that got the planet to the place it is in the series as one of the Big 5 races and not just part of the 'others'
Given this it'd seem to me unlikely the military are ever going to let anybody forget this or easily give up the influence they've earned