Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
To provide some counter perspective on that, the Mystic allows you to:

Create a staircase out of clouds

Assess an opponent by reading their aura, read their emotional state and other things

Do damage and reduce speed to 0 on a failed save (Visions of Despair)

Create a wall that functions on a psychic effect not physical obstruction (Wall of Repulsion)

Become so small you can pass through 1 inch gaps easily without squeezing (Microscopic Form)

And other things that aren't specific conditions with damage. If you look at Talents things follow the trend of providing different things, like Blind Spot and Delusion.
Some reasonable points and I guess I should have specified combat roles - the out of combat stuff is actually pretty rich.

Of the things you noted I would put creating a staircase out of clouds down as out of combat, although it needn't be if the class were to give you good ways to use it in combat.

Wall of repulsion is the kind of thing that is actually a bit new, is apt and I do like. It is probably my favourite ability in the class - my contention is that there needs to be more things like this (and even more wierd ideally).

Visions of despair seems to pretty much fit the cookie cutter approach though - save, condition (grappled), damage...

Microscopic form again seems less useful in combat - although no doubt you can get creative. Stealth is always useful but a bonus to that is... well OK. I guess I should give this a bit more credit?

It does become hard to pick up as many of these as I would like, whilst keeping any kind of strong theme. I like the disciplines in principal, but in practice most of them maybe give one thing you actually want - maybe two. The UA mystic isn't a total creative disaster - but it isn't the most inspiring content either.