Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
Spoiler: Chapter 7 Page 6
Show
Lots to parse on this page.

My reading of it is that Ed's parents sealed themselves away somewhere to prevent some kind of powerful spirit from escaping? And that they might've had some hand in causing it to become so powerful in the first place?

Speculation: I'm willing to wager that this grudge spirit the Burgers trapped is either the shadow creature that later goes on to possess Spender, or the "strongest spirit" that Nin claims he defeated. Those might actually be one and the same, now that I think about it.

Boss Leader and Ed's mom certainly seem like they are/were more than just work colleagues. And I appreciate that BL continues to make cracks in the fourth wall, even at the expense of the subtitles.
I think it is the spirit Spender defeated, and is now possessing him. Lucifer cites having pulled Spender out of the lake 13 years ago, which would be when the Burgers first entered the Grudge's domain if 3 years had passed 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
It's plausible that Boss Leader was the de facto leader (possibly related to this sealing of who I presume was the actual leader) but not actually the founder of the Activity Consortium.
Also, while the "strongest spirit" is almost definitely the shadow spirit Spender is a medium for (or it's Lucifer, with him becoming Spender's tool being interpreted as a sign that Spender "defeated" him, I don't think that's the grudge mentioned here. Given what we do know, I'd think it's actually the scrap dragon, given that we know it is a grudge, Mayview is apparently the general repository of spirit stuff, and Boss Leader seemed very interested in having the old snake sliced up and put into her custody.
The shadow spirit being the mystery grudge is perfectly likely, but I think it being Max's spirit is more probable.
Do you guys think the guy in the old Activity Club picture is Mr. Burger or Spender's father/uncle/etc.? He seems to have light hair and the right physique by anime standards (tall, lanky with glasses) to be either one.
I don't think it's possible for the Scrapdragon to be THE Grudge they're talking about, since presumably Boss Leader would have recognized it while she was analyzing it during Max's dream. If it was such a big deal then she wouldn't have just let him have it back.