Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
Maybe worth noting that the Tremere and Silent Strider assets are the only way to cleanly access the Necromancy and Transmutation schools (respectively). Atlanteans and Demonhosts can technically do so, but I don't believe they can put points into the relevant casting skill without being the proper races. Maybe not much, but something.

Looking forward to seeing your individual ratings of spells.
It took me a bit to figure out what you were talking about with the 'cleanly'. Daemonhosts, Atlanteans, Vampires with the Tremere asset, and Werewolves with the Silent Strider asset all get one dot/rank in a magic school and that magic school counts as always being in-class for them. The vamps and weres are locked into their magic schools but also get a +1k1 bonus to those schools. Interestingly I re-checked the free study bit and if you've been in a class with a sword or magic school then it counts as having been in-class for buying it during free study. Note that if you don't have a magic or sword school in a class then you can't buy it while you're in that class, and if you've never had a magic or sword school in any of your classes then you can't buy it during free study. So it's four ways to get a magic school 'cleanly' that depend on your exalt type, or as long as you take one level of a class with the magic schools you want you can buy them up while you're in free study between classes.

Also, I made a little roller program to check the deadliness of my warp tables. 100,000,000 rolls per check. At +0 (no modifier) 188 instantly deadly results. At +10 1156 instant death results. At +20 12,413 instant deaths. Even at +40 it was only 677,603. Sounds like a lot? Out of a hundred million that's about 0.677%, little more than 1/200 at full unsanctioned overcasting. More fun was that there were 174 instances of at least three rolls on table 3 and one roll on table 4, that might not be instant death but it sure is instant !!FUN!!.

Now, this is interesting, some of the schools (abjuration and divination) have different school-characteristic matches in the second book. After counting the numbers of spells in the schools, and not finding any mention of or reason for it anywhere, I think it's an editing error. So I'm ignoring it.

Spells form the second book will come last in the lists.

Abjuration, uses willpower although the second book puts it's five spells as using intelligence for no discernible reason.
L1:
Shield -> somatic reaction used as a parry attempt. Good.
Armouring Aura -> touch gives an aura that reduces the effects of magic on you. 1 + 1/raise on the casting check. Acts as armour against spells that do damage and reduces the save DC of spells that allow saves. Maximum of three times your level. Also good.
Endure elements -> ignore hot/cold environmental effects for a scene. Not a first choice unless there's lots of lava walking or getting lost on Hoth being done.
L2:
Knock -> somatic touch that undoes all non-magic locking mechanisms on a door. Situational, also meltaguns & explosives. If you still need a door after you've opened it then obviously you need many more explosives.
Dispel -> no key-words reaction to oppose another caster. If your casting check is higher then you nope their spell. Good, if often a source of over casting in our game.
Voidskin -> somatic spell that gives you a magic void suit effect for a scene. Specifically 'immune to the ravages of space' including pressure and radiation. Provides air. Very maybe pick depending on how often you encounter personal space combat. Could work as scuba or reactor core protection though?
L3:
Mage armour -> touch for one day long magic armour. Takes no proficiency, no maximum dexterity, 1 + 1/raise on the casting check. Maximum of three times your level. Generally you'll never see higher than a 40 (fettered 5k5 and 40 is still over the 80% mark so you're re-trying 5 times or so if the DM allows) which is going to be like, 6 armour points. Even at 10k5 and willing to suck the warp effect rolls 50 = 8 armour points = plate armour and that's still over the 70% mark, so probably 4 rolls to catch it. Iffy unless you can wear armour, then not a good choice.
Glyph -> touch something and for a day you can target it for your spells without having line of effect (range still applies). Don't lose the small gemstone focus. Try to tag fleeing enemies with this, or just people you want to fireball while you stand behind an armoured bulkhead. Alternately consider gluing it to an ally and using touch spells on than at range.
Ruby Ray -> no keyword reaction for one of two dispel type options. As a reaction it's self only and reflects the single target spell aimed at you that you're reacting to. Beat the other fellow's casting roll and the spell affects them instead of you. Cast the other way (as a reaction still?) and it covers another person for the first single target spell that targets them before the end of the round. I have a feeling that this is missing some info, like a range for that second option. Unless you really want the ShadowRun method of spell sniping, 3km away with a spotting scope. Ask the DM, or at least think about this if you're the DM.
L4:
Exploding runes -> Fun times! Social (so not in combat) touch an object & readers of the runes get a 3m radius 4k4 damage. Lasts until triggered and you plus people you designate are safe from your runes. Not mentioned are language barriers, reading intent, and triggering range. With a wee bit of technology you can make these into perfectly serviceable grenades. Target number 30 to cast though, since it's out of combat just do it fettered and accept some re-tries. The FUN choice.
Disjunction -> no keyword reaction dispel clone. But if you nope their spell they can't cast until the end of your next turn. A decent choice.
Globe of Invulnerability -> somatic verbal cast and for the rest of the scene you're immune to 1st and 2nd level spells. Notes that spells not affecting you still work so people can still use Shield to parry your attacks and Luck to give themselves bonus dice to hit you. Also a decent choice.
L5:
Contingency -> social (non-combat casting only) indefinite expendable touch (can touch others) spell that you case another spell right after. The second spell waits until your defines trigger happens before it goes off. Targets have to be chosen at the time of casting but can be vague ("fireball wherever my finger is pointing when I say woo-boo"). May only have one contingency active at a time.
Wall of force -> DC 35 to cast a scene long indestructible 20m long indestructible force field anywhere within 50m. Stops short if it would bisect a solid object (tree, person, table, etc.). Unknown visibility, height, orientation, etc., etc. Since it's a 5th level spell I'm happy with a 20m by 20m indestructible translucent plane of force at any orientation within 50m. At least that prevents infinite height force walls from smashing up space stations.

Personal ratings
L1: Shield or aura depending on how much parrying I'm expecting.
L2: Dispel. Unless the game is specifically going to be very heavily space going and I'm not otherwise immune. Meltaguns and las cannons are for locked doors.
L3: Glyph, probably. Unless I decided I really needed the voidskin spell. Mage armour if I have zero expectation of getting armoured up any other way.
L4: Hard choices. These are good spells.
L5: Still hard choices, although contingency will win out if the DM is a waffle.

I have conjuration written but it's late and I'll type it in tomorrow. Suffice it to say I think that the spells in the second book are badly in need of a good editor and proofreader. I'm going to have to issue my personal errata for the spells after I'm done with this.