1. - Top - End - #40
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Running Star Wars campaigns advice thread

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    I tend to think of those as personality types, not classes.
    Kinda like an Assassin campaign, where not everyone plays the Assassin class.
    Yes, but not every Star Wars game uses classes, and "scoundrel" is just a word. Since this is not edition specific, pointing out that everyone is some kind of scoundrel doesn't have anything to do with class, and everything to do with who they are.

Ad res, the strength and legitimacy of the law is entirely down to setting. For example, in a Rebellion-era campaign. no one but the Empire really questions Lando's legitimacy as the Baron-Administrator of Bespin (that we see). When Leia and Han arrive, they have air traffic control and, while they're a bit aggressive, both of them treat that as being fairly normal. But in the OT, we are otherwise never in places with legitimate authority... Tattooine is Hutt, the Death Star is a military compound (so, while they might be "legitimate", no one interacts with them from a position of civilian authority), and Yavin is the same. Hoth? Dagobah? Endor? None of those do they interact with authority as civilians, so we don't see any sign of legitimate, civil, legal authority.

Now, in the PT, we see more civil authority. On Naboo, it is contested (in TPM; not so in AoTC). On Coruscant, it is not. ST? No place we go really has a civil authority, except Canto Bight... and they don't really interact with them at all. So, you can write a place with strong and competent civil authorities... but, then, what is there for the players to do but be badguys?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-08-25 at 08:05 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.