1. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Spirit of the Air

An amazing air-ape, aggressive and apparently also armed.

Spirits of the air are Large (Air) magical beasts with eleven RHD. They got a moderate land speed, a decent climb speed, and a good fly speed. Their abilities are solid all-around, but don't reach impressively high levels anywhere. DR 10/magic isn't that great, SR 23 has its uses, 'immunity to air effects' is incredibly vague but presumably not that important.

Furthermore, the spirits have some neat magical abilities. Air Mastery and Whirlwind (basically the same as the air elemental's abilities) are relatively weaksauce, but the SLAs are very diverse and include useful tricks like at-will Control Winds and Detect Magic, 1/day Control Weather and 1/day Wind Walk.

Furthermore, the apes actually have innate spellcasting, specifically that of a 7th-level cleric with the Air and Luck domains. I shouldn't have to state how useful this is, even if it's a couple levels behind the typical party.

Is the spirit on par with a cleric PC? Not quite. But is it on par with a solid tier 3 cleric-gish-thing? I'd say so: the great chassis and reasonable number of caster levels, combined with the SLAs (at-will ControL Winds can get pretty silly) make me think +1 is fine here.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-08-29 at 02:46 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!