View Single Post

Thread: Worst module you've ever seen?

1. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Worst module you've ever seen?

Many of these modules are bad, but I'm not sure they hold a candle to D&D 3.0's Diablo II: To Hell and Back. In addition to being a companion book to possibly the worst character options sourcebook in the history of 3E, every aspect of the book is a nightmare. The plot follows the plot of the video game slavishly, but without giving any of the secondary information the video game's narration sequences provided. The NPCs are nonsensical. The maps are designed to create dozens of level-appropriate encounters using CR 1-3 enemies even after you've finished fighting CR 15-20 bosses. Several areas include groups of enemies with a listed CR lower than a single member of the group. Many monsters are wildly overpowered for their CR, others are wildly underpowered in obvious ways. Several areas include treasure that contradicts itself. Artwork is repeated. The random encounter tables are misprinted, and many of them include monster names that do not exist. Maps don't include proper room numbering for their generation method. 120' square maps exist within a 40' square on a larger map. The game suggests respawning bosses and major NPCs if the PCs go back into places they've already been. DMs are required to manually generated 8d6+32 magic items every week, with each generation not actually being possible because the game doesn't include a mechanism to generate magic items as a whole, only a mechanism to generate items and see whether they are magical.

If there was an aspect of module design that could be done incorrectly or half-assed, To Hell and Back did it. I wrote a hilariously lengthy review of it and its companion volume, which started as an attempt to mine interesting things from the pair of books and turned into me unleashing my most vitriolic sarcasm halfway through the character creation chapter.
    Last edited by Friv; 2020-09-06 at 06:57 PM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.