View Single Post

Thread: Theory about Monster Hollow

1. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Theory about Monster Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    After Roy's comment about the doors being too closely spaced to have a Dungeon (as opposed to a corridor) behind each one, I got to thinking about what is actually behind the doors of Monster Hollow.
    Consider the following;
    *The Bugbears have been living there a while, yet don't seem to have any maps or anything to work from.
    *We're explicitly not shown what's behind the doors.
    *Oona describes it as 'so many twistings and turnings'
    *Grey view describes it as 'death beckoned behind every corner'
    *Redcloak says the maze is built from multidimensional stone, preventing ethereal travel from one Dungeon to another.
    *So far, it appears that Team Evil haven't had to back out of a Dungeon halfway; they've searched multiple dungeons and marked them off.
    *There are epic monsters in at least once Dungeon, enough to challenge Xykon (who is probably late-20s epic)
    *Yet the hollow is also frequented by bugbears who probably aren't all epic (Oona being pegged by the C&G thread as 15-18th level)
    *Oona says the tribe hunts a little, then leaves the hollow alone for a while before hunting again.

My theory is the dungeons aren't static shapes; they alter at regular intervals to allow monsters to refill empty corridors, rotate where the stronger creatures are (so they don't eat everything and starve), and keep the ecology from stagnating.
    How does this fit with Kraagors belief in strength? Well only one Dungeon leads to the gate, and that Dungeon changes regularly. The only way to find it would be to wipe out *every* doors Dungeon before the reset, or do enough damage to the ecology that the dungeons reset is meaningless. In effect, you can't feasibly search for the gate and clear the dungeons at once; you have to fight through all the monsters *first*, then you're at leisure to search for the gate.
    Thoughts?
    I like this theory. Having to kill nearly every monster feels like the right kind of catch for this dungeon.
    Last edited by catagent101; 2020-10-17 at 09:36 PM.
    mew