[Adrift - coast of a volcanic island]

The beast is confused. It lowers its knuckles to the ground and tilts its head. For a moment, thin red slit appear on its cheeks, vibrating as it draw in a deep breath, then close and fade back into its pale skin. "Gruu?" Apparently, it does have nostrils and a sense of smell too. But it doesn't comprehend the danger signified by this smell and these strange sounds. Even if it could see the gun, it would have no concept of what it is. The sea-elf can see it shift its weigh, preparing to leap.

Better hurry up with that shot, or the creature will jump and, most likely, capsize their boat on impact.

---

[Inside the Octahedron]

"I do not sleep. But I'd prefer non-existence to being forced to act against my purpose. I have watched... countless people wander into the dark, unable or unwilling to comprehend my instructions. They have adapted to living in the dark now, but... this place, is not meant to be dark while people are in it. And it's not meant to have people in it while it is dark. I... wish I could... "

The "Black Fox" puts his book down, sighs and leans his head in his hands. "... sorry. That got away from me for a moment. I perfectly understand if you wish to seal the entrance from the outside. It may not help those who are already trapped here, but at least it will prevent others from your world getting lost in the dark."

He grabs his book and puts it back in his pocket, then stands up and picks up his hat. "The sword is in the world you came from. I cannot tell where, my ability to locate it stops at the boundary of this structure. If you and your companion are willing to take a slight detour, I can reroute you through an archive on your way back. You might be able to catch a glimpse of the moment when the sword was given away. After that, retrace your steps, find the entrance you came from, get out and close it from the outside."

He puts his hat on and nods. "It has been a pleasure, Miss Vulpan."

Suddenly, Leah becomes acutely aware of sitting on a chair - the chair, back in the brain room. She can feel her restraints and she can feel her left hand, still wrapped around the syringe. If she focuses, she can move that hand - her flesh-and-blood hand - and pull out the syringe, ending the flow of ectoplasm into her brain and causing her to wake up.