View Single Post

Thread: How to make combat a little bit faster.

1. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: How to make combat a little bit faster.

<sarcasm>
    Forbid anyone playing a defender or leader or controller. They will only do useless things such as preventing damage (combat lasts longer), healing damage (combat lasts even longer!!!) or, well whatever it is that controllers do! (EVEN LONGER!)
    </sarcasm>

Iīd like to raise the following points:

- Combat in 4E is already the fastest of any edititon. I, as a GM, could easily scram two fights into an evening with 4e, whereas D&D 5e takes quite a bit longer to resolve.

- Combat is a huge part of the game, as with any Wargaming RPG such as D&D is. If you can make rules to make it more enjoyable, good on you, however, cramming in house rules to make it faster seems weird to me.
    ->>>>>Especially with how healing surges and health pools work, Defenders benefit from the exchange of health to damage more than a striker does. I really donīt like that rule. Also strikers gain a lower percent increase on their damage than defender, leaders, controllers. And how does that rule interact with AOE abilities? If each target of the AOE receives the extra damage Or to hit bonusses, say goodbye to single target strikers.

- If you feel combat is a chore, maybe D&D 4e isnīt the system you want to run. Take a look at numenera/cypher system. It cuts out rolling for the GM completely and only relies on player rolls. Combat is the fastest of any system I have experienced ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Easiest way to speed things up is to give any player finishing their turn in X time(approximately a minute is good), a +2 to their next attack roll.
    Mileage varies from group to group. I have an ADD player in one of my groups. When I put the lowest amount of time pressure on him, heīs freaking out, making the evening less enjoyable for everyone.
    Last edited by Angelmaker; 2020-10-23 at 10:47 AM.