Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
I think you are not making a fundamental distinction between "what a pizza is supposed to be" and "the very specific and narrow set of pizza that Rater enjoys".
Would you eat peanut butter and clam pizza? No tomato sauce, no cheese. Just peanut butter and clams. Becuase that exists, but I don't think most people would eat it or even consider it pizza in the first place.

What most people think of as pizza is, essentially, a variation of pizza marrianara which started life as a savory sauced made from crushed tomatoes covered with mozzarella cheese and parsley. This is also from where "marinara sauce" comes from, as it's a refinement of the original pizza sauce. Tomatoes parsley, garlic, onion, sometimes peppers.

The product is, by default, savory and spicy. Not sweet, the way a raw tomato would be. This isn't my opinion, if your marinara sauce is sweet, you have made a mistake in making it. If you are using something other than marinara sauce or similar, you are not making what most people think of when they think of pizza.

Marinara, and thus, pizza, is not something like say, Barbecue sauce which comes in a dozen different varieties and can taste like anything. There's a general consensus on what a red sauce, and thus marinara, and thus what pizza, is supposed to be like.

Pineapple runs counter to that... If you like it, fine... But I can't understand why, becuase in terms of culinary science the pineapple clashes with both the sauce and the cheese. You expect certain things when you eat a Pizza and Pineapple runs counter to those things.

And, again, the thought of mixing those flavors makes me nauseous. I am not allergic to any of the ingredients, there is nothing about the individual ingredients tha makes me sick, but the mixing of those flavors causes a physical reaction if sickness. I can only conclude that there's something wrong about it that either the people who like it ignore or have trained themselves to like.

Re: Bugs.

"Bug" is a category that covers most arthropods as well as several other varieties of invertebrates: A lobster is, in terms of genetics, evolutionary history, and cladistics closer to a spider or roach than it is to anything that most human beings would willingly eat. It has a hard shell, it looks like an alien, and is has the wrong number of legs. Ergo, it's a bug.

The only reason Lobster has considered a delicacy is becuase once we had trains able to haul lobster to the midwest before they died, fishermen in the coast would sell it to rubes in the mid west by saying it was a delicacy. People only like it becuase it's expensive. Before that, a net full of lobster was considered a day of fishing wasted and it was legally considered cruel and unusual punishment to make prisoners eat lobster more than three times a week.