The Clockwork Republic

Morale 5

Spoiler: Clan Baem
Show

Don’t worry, it’s basic specialization of labor – some of the others handle the high-minded diplomacy and appeals to principle, I get to wrestle with the pigs in the mud over shiny bits of copper. No offence.

So, three possibilities here, two for land and one for cash.

Option 1. Contingent on there being a war. You commit yourselves to being wholehearted allies, or at least turn all your murderers and witches on our enemies. In compensation, you’ll receive a full half of any land the Republic’s armies occupy during hostilities, of our choosing (within reason). Presumably safely inland, at least until you’ve either worked out some sort of arrangment with the squid-worshipping savages you seem menaced by, or they all keel over form scurvy.

Option 2. Deferred payment in kind, essentially. You chart a route from your lovely island now, you use it to provide aid in developing certain contingencies in case of war, and once things have calmed down or been resolved – or we have the soldiers free, anyway – you can ferry them to whatever bit of land you want that isn’t going to get us involved in any wider war for acquiring for you.

Option 3. You don’t want to fully commit to a war, so I just write a check. Or I suppose ‘divert a few supply ships full of textiles and gunpowder’ would be more accurate. Contingent on your mapping a safe shipping route, you’ll be looped into our logistics networks, receiving a permanent subsidy in exchange for the services of your spy network for the season.

Once you’re done laughing or swearing, please figure out which ones appeal and get back to me with your counter-offers.
-Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)
PS: Maybe don’t be too specific about the offers you’re responding to, given your entire operation leaks like a sieve.

[ooc: The first two are clear enough, I think? The later is offering 1 permanent econ in exchange for your esp stat for the turn. Opening bids, not final offers, to be clear.]

Spoiler: Phanos
Show

To the Priest-King Hiu Bright-Eyes of Phanos

My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding. Our scouts and envoys assured us that the coastal foothills and badlands to our north were inhabited by nothing but pre-state nomads, and I was unaware your empire’s current claims extent beyond the lands you governed.

As I have said, needless war is both immoral and wasteful, and we have no desire to tresspass against your claims. But I hope you can understand the idea of being wholly encircled by a single neighbour does little to calm my more militaristic colleagues sleep.

We would be happy to recognize your claims to [territory 10], but I am afraid I must insist on some considerations in return. To whit, free transit and navigation through the territory, and aid in finding navigable routes around it. [2 Adv].

Would that be an acceptable compromise? And if not, is it possible to arrive at one?

Peace and Reason,
Academic Hira, Special Adviser to the Secretariat

Spoiler: Valence Lodge
Show

To Massimo de Leuteum

Always a pleasure to find someone so reasonable to deal with someone so reasonable.

Honestly the specifics rather depend on how quickly a navigable route can be established between our centres of gravity. And whether the overgrown brutes see reason or have a fit of sun-stroke and come charging across the border. My colleagues have three possible contingencies sketched out – all solely if we are forced into war, of course.

I don’t suppose you’re able to spare any adventurous types to help chart a safe sea route this season?

And, while I’m absolutely happy to assume, to save myself the heartache – you never did answer whether I should be filing this as a mercenary contract or a formal alliance.

-Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)

Spoiler: Grand Collective
Show

To Elder Guntram Von Banks of the Grand Collective of Free Hobbits (...)

Your kind words are sincerely appreciated. Our landing site has proven to be less than ideal, truthfully. But we must act as necessity requires, and work with what is at hand. I can only hope the tyrants with whom we find ourselves sharing the region can see the logic of peace.

As for your question; yes, on balance we’d much prefer not to subsidize mass warfare across the continent. Even aside from our own parochial concerns, the whole idea seems vaguely obscene.
As for positive measures, we’re quite predictably in favour of anything that eases pathfinding and navigation. Though our actual votes are already provisionally committed to the Aurora College’s proposal, should it be put forward. The specifics escape me, but some sort of initiative to further knowledge and development among the leading circles of each state, if I recall.

What interests will the Grand Collective be advancing in the coming session, if I may ask?

Peace and Reason,

Spoiler: Celestial Empire
Show

To the Court of the Zanshen Emperor

I have been granted the honour of representing my government at your summit, and look forward to seeing your cities first-hand.

Peace and Reason,