View Single Post

Thread: Blue Jay's Bestiary

1. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Blue Jay's Bestiary

Eldritch Archer (Remake)

This monster is originally from Dragon #317. It's a high-powered undead creature created from the body of an arcane archer. I felt like the monster didn't do enough as designed, and wasn't dynamic enough to make into an interesting high-level challenge. So, I added some spell-like abilities, including some that can be imbued onto arrows in the manner of an arcane archer, then I altered a lot of specifics for the existing abilities (storm of arrows and vampiric arrow), tweaked some numbers, and altered feat and skill selection. I hope my alterations are enough to avoid copyright issues; but if not, I'll apologize and take it down.

I think I've given it enough different things to do with its arrows to make it a dynamic enemy, and it can even serve as a moderately competent horde master, if the DM wants to use it that way. But it's probably best suited for a "BBEG's lieutenant" role. Keep in mind that I've got very little experience playing or DMing at this level, so I really have no idea how this will really shake out.

--

Eldritch Archer
    Size/Type: Medium Undead
    Hit Dice: 16d12+16 (130 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 40 ft
    Armor Class: 26 (+8 natural, +8 Dex), Touch 18, Flat-footed 18
    BAB/Grapple: +8 / +11
    Attack: eldritch longbow +21 ranged (2d6+9, 19-20/x3) or claw +16 melee (1d6+4)
    Full Attack: eldritch longbow +21/+16 ranged (2d6+9, 19-20/x3) or eldritch longbow +19/+19/+14 ranged (2d6+9, 19-20/x2) or 2 claws +16 melee (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft / 5 ft
    Special Attacks: Eldritch longbow, Imbued arrow, Spell-like abilities, Storm of arrows, Vampiric arrow
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10 / bludgeoning & good, Darkvision 60 ft, Fast healing 5, Undead traits
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +13, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 27, Con --, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 18
    Skills: Balance +16, Climb +12, Concentration +12, Intimidate +12, Jump +16, Knowledge (arcana) +9, Knowledge (religion) +9, Listen +11, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +9, Spot +11, Tumble +15
    Feats: Bowslinger, Deflect Arrows B, Far Shot, Great Fortitude, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Finesse B
    Environment: any
    Organization: solitary
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: usually Neutral Evil
    Advancement: by class level
    Level Adjustment: +4

--

Eldritch Longbow (Su)
    An eldritch archer carries an eldritch longbow, which is bonded specifically to the eldritch archer and cannot be wielded by any other creature as long as the eldritch archer lives. An eldritch longbow is a +5 keen seeking composite (+4 Str) longbow. The bow magically creates arrows as the archer requires, taking no action on the archer's part to do so. Arrows melt away into a black, tar-like slime after the shot is resolved. If the bow is removed from the eldritch archer's possession while it is still alive, the bow also melts away into the same black, tar-like slime 1 round later, and the eldritch archer can manifest a new one as a swift action.

Imbued Arrow (Sp)
    As a standard action, an eldritch archer can imbue a single arrow with one of the spell effects listed below, and shoot the arrow at any target or target square within range. It must imbue the spell and shoot the arrow as part of the same standard action: if it attempts to "hold" an imbued arrow until the next round, the imbued spell-like ability is wasted. If the arrow hits its target, the attack is resolved as normal, and then the spell effect is resolved, with the target of the attack as the target of the spell. Area effects use any corner of the target's space (eldritch archer's choice) as their point of origin. If the shot misses, determine where the arrow lands as if it were a splash weapon, and use that as the point of origin of the spell effect. Each spell effect is treated as a spell-like ability with CL 17th, and the saving throws are Charisma-based.

3/dayfireball (Ref DC 17), fog cloud, inflict serious wounds (Will DC 17), silence (Will DC 16)
    2/dayconfusion (Will DC 18), greater dispel magic, wall of ice (Ref DC 18)
    1/dayblack tentacles, grave mist PHB2, plague of undead SC

Spell-Like Abilities
    The eldritch archer can cast the following spell-like abilities, with caster level 17th:

at willdimension door (self and up to 50 lbs of gear only)
    1/dayanimate dead

Storm of Arrows (Ex)
    Once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action, an eldritch archer may make a single ranged attack with his eldritch longbow against each target within one range increment. He may not deliver imbued arrows or vampiric arrows with these attacks. Alternately, he may focus a Storm of Arrows on a single target. To do this, he makes one ranged attack against his chosen target, and if it is successful, 2d4+1 arrows strike the target. If the attack roll is a successfully confirmed critical hit, only the first arrow deals critical hit damage.

Vampiric Arrow (Su)
    Once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action, an eldritch archer may shoot a single vampiric arrow as a ranged attack with a maximum range equal to one range increment with its eldritch longbow (usually 165 ft, with the Far Shot feat). If a vampiric arrow hits a living target, it deals 6d6 negative energy damage (double on a critical hit). Simultaneously, the eldritch archer who shot the arrow heals the same amount of damage (not to exceed its normal maximum hit points). If the arrow hits a non-living target, it has no effect.

--

For Player Characters

Gear and Loot
    An eldritch archer usually does not use or carry gear, aside from its bow, though it is fully capable of using gear designed for a humanoid, and some individuals may carry and use such gear.

When an eldritch archer is destroyed, its body melts away into tar-like slime, leaving behind a usable +5 keen seeking composite (+4 Str) longbow and 2d6 spell arrows. Each spell arrow is a +1 arrow imbued with one of the spell effects from among the eldritch archer's "imbued arrow" spell-like abilities. A spell arrow that is shot from any bow will cast its imbued spell-like ability upon impact. Each arrow only works once, after which it is destroyed. See Dragon #295 (p. 83) for a description of spell arrows. The following table gives stats for all the possible arrows an eldritch archer may leave behind, including a table for generating random spell effects. The DM should roll separately for each arrow.
    Spoiler: Spell Arrows
    Show
    Spell Arrow d% CL Save DC Market Price
    fog cloud 1-15 3rd - 394 gp
    silence 16-30 3rd 13 394 gp
    fireball 31-45 5th 14 844 gp
    inflict critical wounds 46-60 7th 16 2894 gp
    confusion 61-70 7th 16 2894 gp
    wall of ice 71-80 7th 16 2894 gp
    greater dispel magic 81-90 11th - 6694 gp
    black tentacles 91-94 7th - 2894 gp
    95-98 11th - 394 gp
    plague of undead 99-100 17th - 15,394 gp

Inevitability's Reassigned LA
    For a game that uses Inevitability's Reassigned Level Adjustments, I recommend giving the eldritch archer an RLA of +0.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-12-13 at 09:17 PM.