Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
What Nice Things should humans have? Not asking sarcastically, I think you're right with the Nice Things approach, but humans should have one too then.
Humans are almost universally "The Mario" in media, meaning they're pretty good with almost everything, jack-of-all-trades master-of-none style.

Pathfinder gets that pretty well with the +1 skill point per level and the extra feat at 1st level. not entirely sure what they get in 5th edition. extra proficiency options i guess?

If you want something specifically specific that isn't "good at almost everything", then i think our adaptability, endurance, and creativity could all be good things to look for.

Adaptability: Humans have spread all over the world into every biome, from the coldest to the hottest, from the deepest to the tallest, humans will find a way to live there. What this translates too in-game i'm not sure, extra bonus on all saves VS environmental checks, and a bonus to any Survival checks? Perhaps even immunity to difficult terrain?

Endurance: Humans (at least in real life) are biologically designed to be long-distance walkers, exhausting prey by simply following it at a walking pace until it can run no further and collapses. I could see this translating to no penalties from forced-march maneuvers, reduced hours of sleep needed, perhaps more classes can fully recover during a short rest rather then a long one, and maybe even an increased movement speed when not in combat.

Creativity: With some exceptions, humans generally seem to be the ones doing all the inventing and empire-building, it's rare to see any particular group of other races having more then one or two settlements united under the same banner, and it doesn't seem too common for them to create something non-magical that really changes the world. If your world has exotic weapons like the Gnomish hook-hammer or the Orc double-axe, i would definitely include some Human-specialized exotic weapons, possibly black-powder based firearms. Beyond that you could take a route similar to those "humans as space orcs" posts you'll sometimes see floating around. Humans will continue to attempt things even if they've proven to be dangerous before, this could translate to a guaranteed minor success at crafting and maybe even knowledge checks, but with some small penalty like a small blow to HP if rolled low enough. Or a bonus to some skill checks if the human tries something new, like getting a bonus to diplomacy checks if the human has recently eaten a local food that was almost harmful or otherwise didn't sit well with them.