Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
And for me, I have a lot fewer problems adding to a system where it basically provides no/minimal guidance compared to having to hack out existing mechanics and dealing with the broken expected interactions.

So having lots of support for combat and not a lot elsewhere works for me because I need the most support in combat and can handle the rest mostly myself. Whereas if you had very opinionated support for other stuff, I'd be much more constrained by the core assumptions of the system.
works for me too. my group does a lot of different stuff, and we never for a moment stopped to think "wait, but d&d does not support this stuff!"
Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
D&D mostly does zero-to-superhero progression, highly "heroic", combat-centric games.

The stuff it does outside of that is mostly done by ignoring the system and mostly going freeform.

It doesn't mean you didn't do those things in your D&D game. It just means that people are saying the system itself didn't do a ton to help you out in that.
well, yes, ok. now that I analyze what we've been doing, i realize that's true.
still, i wouldn't call it bad. or, at least, it's as good as one can realistically get.
I think, if you trouble yourself too much on thinking what the system is focused on doing or not, you are missing a lot of opportunities.