View Single Post

Thread: Races from an old CYOA image

1. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Races from an old CYOA image

Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    Is this a joke...? I don't think these races are powerful. In fact, they seem horribly weak. What are they balanced against?

Without any level adjustment, the Oni might be on par with a Half-Orc. The Arachne could maybe work in a limited way if those seven attacks are abused with something like Sneak Attack. The Nurarhiyon seem just utterly pointless. I mean... they have zero redeeming qualities except that +2 to Intelligence and one of these two points is eaten up by the ability score increase that is lost to the level adjustment.
    I'll be honest, I was thinking I overcorrected hard but was second guessing myself the whole time. I'm also horrible at figuring out LA so almost all of the time I'm just spitballing in the opposite direction of the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Iím going to have to agree with Berenger. None of the abilities are strong enough to merit nerfing, least of all LA.

On the Oni: Strength by Skill is pointless. By RAW itís a bonus to Str, which is divided by 2 for the bonus to checks, so you effectively get three extra points of bonus across 20 levels. I donít see Toughened Muscle being of much use outside of unarmed swordsage, and thatís a stretch, since Hammer Meets Nail invalidates WIS. Drive of Strength forces your DM into a narrative corner regarding foreshadowing.
    I was worried about the STR bonus too much because I was tired and forgot how ability modifiers worked. I should really pump it up a bit. Yeah, Drive of Strength was initially a challenge type effect and you gained morale bonuses that lasted a day for how high the CR of the enemy was after defeat. I rewrote it because of the aforementioned stupidity. I should probably modify HMN to be Int instead, as that fits the flavour better than Wis anyways, plus it fits with the ability score adjustments.

On the Nurarhiyon: Unnoticeability has way too low a check to be useful. Even at high levels, a lot of monsters have massive bonuses to Will, so it doesnít ever become useful. Large Head is a massive, massive liability, especially at low levels, where youíre already behind chained to the massive LA. Cumulative -4 abilities and Scavengerís Inclination donít help either.
    Initially I had the DC for Unnoticeability being 20+Cha+Level, and everything else was based on that, but I overcorrected. Any suggestions on a workable DC? I was actually thinking about bringing large head down to a 1 range increase and +1 to confimation roll.

On the Arachne: This one seems a bit more balanced, but itís very niche and would probably only work well for RAW abuse like precision damage, as Berenger mentioned.
    Kinda figured, I wasn't expecting them to be anything special. The brief description didn't give me much to work with on these. "Six six-foot retractable appendages sprout from your back. You can control them perfectly to walk or attack with. You view everyone as prey and get frustrated without a steady source of XP."

Overall, thereís a lot of good fluff, but this needs a lot of rebalancing to work. Arachne might be viable in TO environments, but Nurarhiyon loses way too much for a relatively weak ability. And the Oniís racial features actively makes the DMís life harder, unless he simply goes ahead with their plot anyway, and your Oni is killed as an example for how powerful their final boss or whatever is.
    I figured as much. I need to stop overcorrecting things.

ETA: Before anyone brings it up, I saw the zombie apocalypse fluff. The OP doesnít make it clear if these three are the only fantasy races in existence within their setting, so I assumed the normal sword-and-fantasy setting default to 3.x. Feel free to correct me if Iím wrong, OP.
    The only races are: Humans, Oni, Nurarhiyon, Arachne, Avian(which are just claustrophobic humans with retractable wings and flight), and Elemental (basically just Genasi). The only real enemy is different types of zombie a la Left 4 Dead.
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2021-01-15 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew