View Single Post

Thread: The Empire of the Silver Fruit

1. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: The Empire of the Silver Fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    So, what keeps each "family" limited to 20 bushes to cultivate?

Are silver fruit difficult to transport or store?

In a real world econostate, I would've expected each family to deal with their surplus family members by explanding their farm land and number of crops to expand feed. Eventually this would lead to a worker class of pecan-pickers er fruit-pickers who were paid to work the fields, allowing the land owners to specialize into other pursuits. Eventually, we'd leave individual estates and have a communal grove maintained by a worker caste, allowing the non workers to get on with their business.

For your conceit to work, there has to be some arbitrary constraint on why each family is limited to the max number of cultivated plants. That's not a bad thing, but as a player I'd want to know what that constraint was.

Each plant requires a large amount of surrounding space to itself with no other silver fruit plants nearby
    Each grove self limits to a size of about 20 plants and dies off if another grove is planted nearby.

Something like that maybe.
    The bushes kill the soil, and the soil where they live is bad to begin with. They live on a moor or steppe, and range animals in the spaces between villages to use the manure to keep the soil alive. That creates a kind of secondary herder class which is greatly outnumbered by the farming class. They aren't a classless society, just one that can convert marginal land to productivity through a labor intensive trick.

Also the amount of labor time makes it difficult to work more then that many. Instead of a lot of labor, then little, then a lot like seasonal crops the bushes require basically 8 hours a day year round. In return they rarely have bad years, so the population can continue to grow continuously. Think if you had an 8 hr a day job that covered just your food and shelter and enough for taxes. Everyone else is basically doing the same job, and instead of saving you have more children to work more jobs.

I appreciate all the questions, it is helping me clarify my ideas a lot :)
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-01-26 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".