From the Journals of Elis Took - 0
Those of you who follow, may not believe it, but I never intended to start out on this particular adventure. It had been several months since I had returned to the clan smial. My last series of freelance excavations had been successful, so I settled in for a long overdue vacation.

But after a few months, I was starting to feel that itch in my feet, that desire to see what’s over the next hill. The cousins were coming to me with more and more hairbrained ideas. My great-aunt, the clan matriarch and priestess of Cyrrollalee, gently (gently, I say!) suggested I might undertake a pilgrimage on her behalf.

In the interest of familial harmony (and let’s be honest, my own wanderlust), I boarded the Varion on behalf of Aunt Margaret. And shortly thereafter, I found myself ensconced in the current shenanigans.

Spoiler: OOC
Show
One of the women in our group ran her first campaign in the 20yrs I've been with the group: 5E, Waterdeep Heist. After that experience, one of the men offered to run, paraphrased, "enough of that pansy 5E; we're gonna play pure-quill 1E." That got him a raised eye-brow from the previous DM and a LOOK. Older sister-younger brother; they've been gaming together forever.

(This is not dysfunction. This is good adult friends and family who've been together so long, we've to got real porous boundaries. She got her revenge though, though. She's running a gnome fighter with a Napolean complex. It is AWESOME.)

Since this is only the second 1E game I've ever played, I decided to go for the oldest of schools: hobbit burglar (OK, Stout halfling thief). And so I present:

Elis Took
Halfling Thief 5 (1E PH)

S – 20 (girdle of stone giant strength)
I – 09
W – 12
D – 18
C – 10
CH – 14

AC: 4 (leather armor and Dex bonus)
HP: 22
XP: 20,000

WP (2+1 4th-level):
Dagger
Sling
Short sword

NWP (3+1 4th-level):
Alertness
Blind-fighting
Rope Use
Swimming

Languages: Common, NG, dwarven, elven, gnome, goblin, halfling, orcish, thieves' cant.

Saving Throws:
PPDM – 12
RSW – 11
PP – 12
BW – 15
SP – 13

Thief Skills:
Base Dex Race Total
PP 50% +10 +05 65%
OL 42% +15 +05 62%
FRT 40% +05 +05 50%
MS 40% +10 +10 60%
HS 31% +10 +15 56%
DN 20% +00 +05 25%
CW 90% +00 –15 75%
RL 25% +00 –05 20%

Special Abilities:
All halfling characters have a high resistance to magical spells and spell: +2 for a 10 Con.

A halfling can gain a bonus to surprise opponents, but only if the halfling is not in metal armor. Even then, the halfling must either be alone, or with a party comprised only of halflings or elves, or 90 feet or more away from his party to gain this bonus. If he fulfills any of these conditions, he can surprise enemies 1-4/d6 or 1-2/d6 if opening a door.

Stoutish lineage: 60-foot infravision; can note if a passage is an up or down grade with 75% accuracy (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d4). They can determine direction half the time (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6). These abilities function only when the character is concentrating on the desired information to the exclusion of all else.

Magic Items:
Girdle of Stone Giant Strength
Potions (x2 invisibility, x1 Extra-healing, x1 Fire Resistance)