Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
What is the place of Dragon Disciples in your setting? Can sorcerers undertake painful, potentially deadly rituals to awaken theirr laten draconic heritage? I would seem like this is a test which would demonstrate the legitimacy of a non-noble sorcerer and automatically make the Disciple suitable as a mate for a noble.

In my blurb I intimated that those babies who made the water glow were eligible for Dragon Disciple training, but you may not want this in your campaign.

I have not as of yet created anything like dragon disciples in my D&D10 system. If such a thing existed, Swynfaredian nobles would surely want to do this.

The first few generations of Swynfaredian dragonbloods wanted to look more human. The later generations want to look more draconic

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
as a general question....how common are new minor houses?
sure you have the big four pillars that are basically immortal but how about the lesser houses?

this give some idea of churn and overall turnover...how easy new houses are made, die, or are absorbed. The higher the rates of such things the easier it is for "new blood" to join the flow. At least in a legal sense...sure they may be looked down on as upstarts for a couple generations but then again so may other cadet houses, bastards, raised lesser nobles who gave good service, etc. On the other hand it could be very hard to create or destroy a house...which would lead to questions of why, what makes them so stable? The first thing that jumps to mind is adoption...either in the roman sense or perhaps as the highest form of vassalage...where you take the name of the foster family...this would lead to the families being large and more clan that the type of noble family we normally think of in the European Heraldic sense...but that could also work and would make the INTRAclan politics a larger thing. The lots of quicker up and down families would focus the politics more on the INTERfamily competition.
I haven't given this much thought until this thread. While the Swynfaredians are not inclined to give equal status to foreign sorcerers, any sorcerer or sorceress who swears fealty to a Dragon Blood house is guaranteed a high paying job if not a knighthood. Swynfaredians don't have knights, they have Fang Warriors (referring to sorcerer warriors) and Talon Warriors (referring to elite warriors who are not sorcerers). Nearly every government position harkens back to dragons in some symbolic way.

If a lesser sorcerer who swore fealty to the Swynfaredians marries a lesser sorceress who was also loyal to the Swynfaredians then of course the proper Dragon bloods would be happy to give favoritism to these second generation vassals. I guess I'll call these Recognized Bloodlines, which are like a lower tier of nobility in all but name.

So I suppose a new house forms, when the king or queen (MAYBE a duke or duchess) opts to formally recognize a bloodline as a house.

Of the lesser houses I came up with so far. Most of them earned their full house status for valorous wartime service and two money grubbing groups of sorcerers (one cornered magical potion ingredient trade and the other cornered sea trade) managed to get their house status by buying it.

as for the Byzentines....well just look where the Ottomans took that idea. A couple of them would slaughter all their brothers/halfbrothers upon taking the crown. It got extreme. but the basic crime of suppressing the ability to cast sorcerer spells is HIGHLY incentivized in the system you describe. So the ability, the action, and the FEAR of it would certainly be a thing. As would the attempt to fake a squib as a sorcerer.
True, highly illegal or not there would be a great incentive to fake a squib as a sorcerer and a lot of incentive to suppress a rival sorcerer's ability.

I need to put more thought onto the latter. As mentioned before, there is a relatively cheap magical item called Rainbow Vellum that will identify a sorcerer from a non-sorcerer so it would be hard for a wizard or warlock to fake being a sorcerer unless they bribed or coerced the Arcane Registry into providing a fake vellum piece in their pile which is possible, the Office of the Arcane Registry is not above corruption, but it would be very expensive.

Suppressing a budding young sorcerer or sorceress I am less sure of how to do it, but someone would certainly try.

LATER EDIT:
Possible idea drawn from Roman and Ottoman history. Before the daughter/nephew succession war that led to the change allowing for the eldest child instead of eldest son rule change, have one of those child regencies where the mother rules in the place of her son for a decade or more and runs the empire via behind the throne influence for a time after. And have this be a VERY good time for the empire. She proves her leadership and acumen, which is in part why she continues to be the shadow leader for a time after. Not only did things like this really happen but it would also set up a norm for the daughter to point to of female leadership particularly if it was comparatively recent to the time of the daughter/nephew war.
So I started plotting out some early family trees. I use dice to ball park, did this person live a long life or did they die young. By dumb luck, among the first generation of half dragon children of the four dragons, the women generally lived longer than the men by a fair bit. That mean there is a precedent for wise matriarchs "advising" their sons and grandsons sitting on the royal and ducal thrones.

So your suggestion is a good fit with the family tree I already started.