Upicks are so named because you pick your role!
When the game is in the preparation stage - that is, after
everyone has signed up to the game, just before Day 1, you will have a chance to send me two
character concepts. These character concepts can be whatever you like
so long as it's board-appropriate and otherwise just obviously not yikesy in any other way (be reasonable about this); the first concept should be your first preference, and please link an explanation for both concepts if they're something I might not know about. Other Upicks I've seen have featured anime characters, tanks, and the concept of YouTube Music videos as characters so do whatever you like
Please don't use other real people - board members or otherwise - as characters, partly because yikes and partly because I don't want to have to write the sentence "AvatarVecna's role was Xihirli".
I will roll up the list of who is which faction before I create your character roles
, so if you use a character who's actually a mafia member or actually a werewolf, you may still end up as town. I will then assign abilities that I think are appropriate to one of your chosen characters. I will try to use the first one, but if there's some problem with them I'll use the second one instead. They will match as best as I can make them while also (a) making sense within the context of Mafia, (b) not being very terribly overpowered, and (c) not being horrible to play with.
Abilities I promise I won't be using are:
- Cults and other alignment changing abilities;
- Dreaming gods, false seers, inventors who don't know what their inventions do, and other hidden/random chance abilities;
- Jesters (a role which wins the game by being executed);
- Antisocial, Flagbearer and other modifiers which mess with who wins and loses the game to a significant extent;
- Effects such as death millers which lie about death-reveal information;
- "Janitor", "Cannibal" and other effects which can prevent deaths from being revealed.
- Effects such as Beloved Princess which mess with the day/night order;
- Effects that restrict how a player can post other than by killing them;
- "Enabler" or "Switch" effects that can shut off a specified type of role (rather than roleblocking a specific player);
- "Bus Driver", "Transporter", "Transmuter", "Mind-controller" "Mindslaver", "Witch", "Lightning Rod", "Mirror" or other names for a variety of effects which force someone to target someone other than their intended target;
- "Normalizers" or other effects which permanently alter other people's roles (short of killing them);
- "Phantom Queen", "Reviver", "Resurrectionist", "Retributionist" or other effects which change how death works for players other than yourself.
However, this does not mean that any of these won't show up:
- "Doublevoter", "Loved", "Hated" and other modifiers that can change the number of votes flying around or the number needed to kill someone;
- "Gladiator" or other effects which limit who is a valid target for a vote;
- "Godfather", "Framer", "Lawyer", "Psychotrooper" or other effects which cause someone else's investigation to provide misleading information;
- "Lover" and other roles that can cause a player to die when a condition is met;
- Roles which return the truth or falsehood of an arbitrary statement;
- "Copier" or "Illusionist" abilities which copy someone else's ability and use it on another specified target;
- "Parity cop" or "Parity seer" roles, which provide the same result for two members of the same faction, but no indication of which faction yields which result (so it might yield "Winter" for town and "Summer" for Mafia);
- "Restless Spirit" or "Vengeful" roles which change how death works for you;
- "Medium" or "Necromancer" roles which can talk in dead chat while alive.