Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
How often does pregnancy and childbirth really impact a campaign? What percentage of PCs in your games have been pregnant? Things like "dwarves don't understand sex or gender" make for fun little side bits, but doesn't change much about they way they handle danger and camaraderie. Elves as sociopaths might be more of an issue for some players, but plenty of PCs are effectively sociopaths anyway, so in many cases this changes very little (and lizardfolk already have this trait in vanilla D&D). I'll grant that the way I handle goblinoids make them poor choices for PCs, but then again they're poor choices for PCs in many games anyway.

None of these races are as alien as Thri Kreen, yet those manage to be a favorite PC race, I would argue not in spite of their alien nature, but because of it.
That was an aside. I really don't like racially stereotyping psychology. The "one-hat-per-race" thing, to me, is unpleasant. I look around and see people. A wide panoply of cultures, all backed by the same basic biology. And all my fantasy people should be people. That helps them feel real (to me). Note that none of my playable races have that enforced psychology. Not even lizardmen. Goblins come the closest (having a shared tribal memory which is also their long-term memory, without which they're basically human intelligence cats, minus the whole object permanence thing), which is why they're not playable. And even there there are exceptions.

And those sorts of "surface" (where adventuring is concerned) differences feel like they're just stapled on. When you have a race whose fundamental biology is that different, having anything like human psychology is the result of forcing things into a pre-determined mold. I don't see how a "fungus" dwarf and a normal human would have much, if anything in common psychologically or sociologically. And that makes them ill-fitting for a party. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but yeah.

Another goal of mine is to have things that are recognizably "D&D" despite very different lore. So "alien" is off the table.