On Infusions
Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
"Arcane Emission Gauntlets" is pretty junky. What level 14 PC is going to expend an action on doing 10 damage, even in an AOE?
Increase the damage, maybe? This one I think is specifically nice for the artificer, because (as I understand it) they can reapply the infusion without issue, especially because gauntlets aren't held (letting use this, a shield, and a magical focus at the same time).

The charges, can't artificers just make brand new ones every long rest? Your complex recharge mechanics become "at the end of a long rest, the artificer gives it full charges", no? Ok, I guess there are annoying juggling rules to end infusions early; ie, you have to have 2 copies of the mundane item.
If you're still around the artificer, sure. But I'm trying to keep it consistent with the Armor of Magical Strength in Tasha's, which I actually like.

How about "while not incapacitated, the wielder of the shield cannot be forcibly moved or knocked prone without their consent".
We are talking 14th level here.
Sure, will fix.

"and advantage on saving throws against effects a creature immune to being stunned, charmed and frightened would be immune to".

Just because.
I'm keeping this DM dependent.

Stack is not a 5e game term.
Whoops, thanks for the catch.

"While wielding this weapon and not wielding a shield, a creature gains a +1 bonus to AC".

I mean, as written, trading a 1d10 longsword damage for a 2d6 greatsword is worth about 1 AC; so you have an item where you are burning an attunement slot to get an even trade.
What if I just make the requirement "an item without the two-handed property?"

Annoyingly this works better on a non-artificer than an artificer.

How about:

"When casting a spell that deals that damage using a spell slot, you can expend a charge to treat it as being cast with a spell slot level equal to your proficiency bonus."

So you cast a 1st level acid spell, and with this it is cast as if you used a 6th level slot. Or a 3rd level fireball; also 6th level slot (at level 17+).

Still useful to all casters, but more useful to an artificer, who has lower level slots.
I think this applies to most of the infusions the artificer can make, unfortunately. A +1 weapon is more useful for a fighter, for instance.

On the Alchemist

Antitoxin: The drinker becomes immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition for 1 minute. At 5th level the duration increases to 10 minutes, at 11th level the drinker becomes immune to all disease and has advantage on all constitution saving throws except concentration saving throws, and at 17th level the duration becomes 24 hours.
As a general note, the die you roll for when simply making an elixir without spending a spell slot is sized to give you the same options you can choose from the table when you expend a spell slot to make an elixir. So if the die you roll only becomes a d12 at 17th level you shouldn't be writing out 3rd level effects here. To clarify:
  • If you can roll the elixir as part of your "free" elixirs that morning, you can choose that elixir when you expend a slot to make an elixir.
  • If you can't roll the elixir as part of your "free" elixirs that morning, you can't choose that elixir when you expend a slot to make an elixir.

If you suggest removing the feature where an alchemist rolls for their "free" elixirs and just have them choose those instead, I will consider it consistent. But an alchemist either knows the recipe or doesn't and can therefore produce the recipe or not. I strongly believe that both methods of elixir generation should come from the same table of elixirs for an alchemist of a particular level.

Two upgrades at level 6 might be a bit much (2 elixers, and 1d12, and ability to burn 1st level slots on the 9-12 abilities).
I was worried about giving everything for a 3 level dip.

What if we gave them more Elixers? Like, starting at 6th level, you make half your artificer level in elixers. Drinks for everyone!
If we're scaling the number of elixirs that fast, it might be worth keeping the power of each elixir static.

Then make it 1d6 at level 3, 1d8 at level 5, 1d10 at level 11 and 1d12 at level 17, to align with the tier steps.
For reference, my version is tied to when you get subclass features rather than tier changes. So the intent would be 6th, 9th, and 15th. That said, if the fix is instead to let the PC roll for a bunch of elixirs, maybe there should be separate "heal," and "harm," tables that give differnet effects? Two additional options per tier seems a bit slow.

Generally: I see three levers to pull that can increase the alchemist's power:
  1. The number of elixirs.
  2. The variety of elixirs.
  3. The power of each elixir.
I attempted to pull the variety up slightly (+33% at 3rd and a total of +100% options at 6th) and to grant scaling for each elixir.

Complied idea for a second attempt: What if I gave 10 options, let the PC choose all elixirs, and a number of elixirs equal to half the artificer level all at 3rd, and then each elixir scales up in power at 9th level?