View Single Post

Thread: Spreadsheet nightmare

1. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spreadsheet nightmare

Is there intended to be an even chance of having each deity for a parent? In that case, it's just a simple 100 divided by the number of gods.

21 is the product of 3 and 7, neither of which go evenly into 100, so you're going to have a slightly uneven distribution if you are only going to roll 1d100.

If you want an even distribution, you're going to want a number of gods that will divide 100 with no remainders: 2,4,5,10,20,25 and 50.

If you can get 33 gods, you can evenly divide it into 3% chances, with any results of 100 resulting in a reroll until you get a result in the range of 1-99.

You could do a similar thing with any number of gods, and reroll the 'extra' numbers.

If you have 23 gods, for example, each god gets a 4% chance, and there's a 8% chance of a reroll.

Is that what you are looking for?

Use =randbetween(1,<number of gods>), as Eldan recommends below.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-03-20 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I suffered a bout of stupidity, getting too hung up on the d100
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season